Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the link. http://www.supercars.net/index-top.html

I KNOW there are vipers that can hit top speeds much faster then that. Yes, that is fast. But the Highest top speed is a 1938 M-B W125 with a top speed of 269.1mph :bowdown:

I don't know about anyone else but...we should have a new #1 on this list. That is just WAY too slow. I'm sure given the right amount of space (say the salt-flats.) I'm sure some viper could hit 270-275mph.

Question: What type of hp would it take and how much areo work would be needed to make a Viper hit 275mph. Is the stock grearing good for that kind of speed. Normaly I wouldn't think so but my ACR at 70mph is at only 1300-1400ish rpm.

Before I forget. Congrats to Hennessy for making it to #16 with a Venom 800TT. Come on John...take a 1000TT out and bump us up to say...14ish. You can do it!

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scrach that John...you should get 2nd. That Corvette needs to go down. It's topspeed was 254.47mph. From 235mph to 255 with another 200hp seem it could be done.

John, what kind of areo upgrades would be needed to make this happen?

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW 235mph is nothing to blow off. The fastest I've EVER been was right at 180mph...and I was SCCCCARRRDDDD. Everything came up so fast. I would have hated to hit a dog at that speed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
svs turbo went over 250 mph in their stock bodied gts coupe at the salt flats. i believe they were making close to 1500 rwhp. i hit 182 mph with just 451 rwhp and stock gearing in 5th gear. i want 200 mph so i need to get some more ponies. i think i can get bust 200 mph with 600 rwhp and stock gearring in 5th gear.

·
Registered
527 Posts
btw tanked, that site u link us to is total bullshit. the gearing and tranny ratios listed for some of those cars make it mathematically imposible for some of those cars to achieve the top speeds they claim, despite their engines ability to rev high. the fastest vette i have ever heard of was the callaway sledgehammer at 250+ mph with 1000 twin turbo hp at ohio's test facility.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the stock body viper is good for 250mph. I assume that would only work for a salt-flat or something smooth like that. I'd be worried about hitting a bump at that speed.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joel said:
If a standard GTS with 450bhp and standard aerodynamics had a top speed of 190mph, then to achieve 270mph in the same car(if it stayed on the ground) would need 1835bhp :dance:

To get RWHP from BHP you need to subtract 15%-20% right? So that would be about 1468-1560rwhp. That is a shitload of power. So much for streetable.

But if you only subtarct 10% that would be 1651.5rwhp :bowdown: :bowdown:

That is a buckets of power.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
THE CHAD said:
I think SVS ran 246.

Lingenfelter ran that 254 a looooong time ago in the Callaway Sledgehammer TT.
I have never seen any proof to backup the 254 mph run in the Callaway TT.

I have only seen estimates and figures that they say is what they should have been running.

No disrespect by any means but.....

No timing equipment, no time slips, no Radar?

Kugel and LaFever hold it for a production body car at over 300mph. T/A 2000hp twin turbo.

We will be there next year and give it our best shot. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Tanked said:
Here is the link. http://www.supercars.net/index-top.html

I KNOW there are vipers that can hit top speeds much faster then that. Yes, that is fast. But the Highest top speed is a 1938 M-B W125 with a top speed of 269.1mph :bowdown:

I don't know about anyone else but...we should have a new #1 on this list. That is just WAY too slow. I'm sure given the right amount of space (say the salt-flats.) I'm sure some viper could hit 270-275mph.

Question: What type of hp would it take and how much areo work would be needed to make a Viper hit 275mph. Is the stock grearing good for that kind of speed. Normaly I wouldn't think so but my ACR at 70mph is at only 1300-1400ish rpm.

Before I forget. Congrats to Hennessy for making it to #16 with a Venom 800TT. Come on John...take a 1000TT out and bump us up to say...14ish. You can do it!

Tanked, I believe John Hennessey's 235 MPH was an estimation based on gearing and power levels.

To my knowledge there is no documentation on the Bonneville website of any 246 MPH Viper by anybody period.

I remember seeing that Mercedes that went 269 MPH on the autobahn(27" deep concrete instead of our 11" or so deep concrete here{worthless history channel trivia})

That car was really more like a tear dropped missile than a regular car shape.

I also remember seeing footage from the car that beat that record going airborn and the driver getting killed....

I think you are right about some Viper being able to hit 275 MPH.

I think the biggest barrier to hitting the 275 is the tires if you wanted to do it on the highway-type pavement or speed oval.

They do make tires for the salt flats that can handle the speed. Also on the salt flats, there is way less friction ie less heat, but also less traction. At Bonneville, it is usually the way to add weight to the car to increase traction and downforce.

The stock gearing theoretically would be good for 306-307 MPH in 6th gear. The only problem is that the overdriven gears have more parasitic loss than a 1-1 ratio, so then you need even more power.

I just wish I knew John Lingenfelter had driven the Sledgehammer Corvette to the 254 MPH when I met him /images/graemlins/sad I think of him every day I work on the car......which is every day.....He has inspired me more than he ever imagined :bowdown:==> I still cannot believe he is gone......

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Tanked said:
Scrach that John...you should get 2nd. That Corvette needs to go down. It's topspeed was 254.47mph. From 235mph to 255 with another 200hp seem it could be done.

John, what kind of areo upgrades would be needed to make this happen?
Tanked, I do not think the aero needs much modification. I hit the rev limiter @ 6200 RPM around 213 MPH with 850+ RWHP earlier this year with the windows open and the car felt the same as it routinely does at 140, just a little faster.

I think a turbo system with could certainly do it if:

1. a minimal amount of back pressure between the collector and the turbo(for proper modulation of boost with respect to the wastegate target boost)
2. with properly sized and designed wastegates could actually hold the boost for the entire run
3. with the proper fuel management system

I think the AEM and some advancements in the actual designs of some of the systems coming out will be making this possibility more and more likely. Only time will tell..... We shall see.... :thumb:

P.S. DId I ever tell you how much I like your signature? :bowdown:

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Paolo,

This is directly lifted from the source of successful run. Check the Terminal Speed. However, your point is partially valid as validated by the time slip.

"Terminal Speed not valid for record"

This record in my opine is all semantics when we all see a GTS blistering across the Bonneville Salt Flats at 246.742 MPH! :nod:

Jr.,

One question and I want an HONEST answer... Were the flames actually moving across the hood at 246 MPH??/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Jay K.

ps. Get out of the quartermile pursuit and put that DAMN car back on the track or at Bonniville pleeze! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif :thumb:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The "terminal speed" isn't valid for a record when you are attempting to break a record.

The terminal speed is for "bragging rights" :nod: The last possible amount of distance that can be recorded and documented and proven. The exit out the 5 mile.

When we arived at the Salt Flats, the standing record for the class we were in was around 246-247mph.

The last run with the terminal speed of 246.742 mph, had a 5 mile avg of 244.910.(The 244.910 was good for going after the record) This put us in the ballpark and we could have impounded the car and ran the next day to eclipse the old record. We would have had to go over 249 mph (in the 5 mile section) the next day in order to add 244.910 + 249.500 = 494.41 /2 = 247.20 mph. That would have gave us the actual record for that class.

The only problem was that right before we made the 244.910 mph avg run in the 5 mile, the only other car in our class ran 267mph. I was very happy to have at least made it within striking distance of the record. Bonner Denton went on to break the record that stands at somewhere around 264 mph. Bonner told me that he thought our cars shouldn't even have been in the same class.

Since the pics don't work check out "Our Competition" pictures and the time slip 244 mph run with terminal speed of 246.742 mph.

COPY AND PASTE STARTING WITH www. :

www.supervipersystems.com/SVSi_Racing/Bonneville_2001/bonneville_2001.html

SVS will be at the Salt Flats in 2005 :thumb: :nod: :thumb:

Going for 300 mph is a tall order, but you can always dream about it and who knows?

As far as having a valid point Jay, this should clear everything up for you.

The fastest production body vehicle is owned by "Kugel and LaFever"
The article says 1400hp, sorry.

300 + mph Trans Am

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Jr.

The links on the Alley's site are interferring with your links as keywords! I'm clear on what you said now. I'll upload the pic.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/98timeslips.jpg[/image]

Jr. Congrats again on the run with car that really got me into Vipers in the first place.

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/98bonneville_2001_Viper_.jpg[/image]

Jay K.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.