Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best way to remove the factory clearcoat from polished 98 wheels. Should I just use paint stripper? I have even heard of using oven cleaner. I will be repolishing or powder coating them, have not yet decided. Any info much appreciated.

thanks

martyb

·
Registered
10,436 Posts
Brake fluid...no bs...and don't get it on anything else...ie...the finish of the car. Try it on a small spot on your stocker wheels, you'll see.

Clean ALL of it off, once you have removed the clearcoat...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Factory clearcoat is some tough sh*& !! Left brake fluid on a spot on the wheel for 24 hours and it did not remove it. I will be off to get some automotive paint remover tomorrow. If that does not work, I am just going to send the damn things to the powder coating shop.

martyb

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exactly what I used, Motul 600. going to try paint remover tonight, should do the trick. The more I think of it, the more I may be leaning towards powder coating them black to go on my red car. I had my ZR1 set up that way and it looked kinda sinister

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
forgot to mention that these are the wheels from Paolo's car. Maybe those high speed runs had something to do with the clearcoat not coming off!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just finished these up today. Once the clearcoat was removed, I decided just to polish them, no PC. The results are awesome. Too bad we have 4 damn inches of the white stuff on the ground or I would be out getting some pics.

thanks for all the suggestions.

martyb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.