Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy posted this on a local racing board. It's pretty cool:

http://www.renaultf1.com/en/public/flash/car/engine/video.php

Obviously F1 cars record everything... I've read that they use this database on the dyno to reproduce throttle input and simulated engine loads recorded from actual races. They can literally choose a given race or test going back over several years' time, and basically hit the play button, and off the engine goes.

I watched this video at work and it caught the attention of a co-worker. He used to work for Boeing, and their wind-tunnel engineers helped design the Ferrari dyno design. Yes, wind-tunnel engineers worked on the dyno. The Ferrari dyno goes a step further and simulates airflow (cooling and intake air pressure). The atmosphere-controlled dyno room not only simulates air density, but also humidity just short of actual rainfall.

Amazing the toys that annual 9-figure budgets can score, eh?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the three things that always amaze me are: a 200 pound engine belts out 950 HP at 18,500 RPM, and all that power is delivered through a clutch roughly the size of the palm of your hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.