Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in another thread, but I thought I would repost it.

This is my idea. It is still in devoplopment, but here is the rough draft. This all goes to benifit a charity event near my ranch in Dallas. It helps out Foster kids.

Here is my idea:
I want to rent a track near Dallas and hold a one day event there being lapping days or something of the sort. This is how the schedule would go:

Friday Morning - leave the headquarter hotel (in dallas somewhere) and go on a 60 mile drive to my ranch Northwest of Dallas. Have an exotic car show there with a big bbq, etc.

Friday evening - group rallys back to the hotel in Dallas.

Saturday - hold an event at track I rent,

Saturday night - have a big party with Dinner and give ways.

Entry fee for all of this wold be $1,000 and would include the following:
Admission to all the events, entry for one person to the driving event on Saturday, and one entry to win the car. (A guest would be included for everything, but the driving event.) This would be limited to 100 entries, so you would have a 1:100 chance of winning the car. The car would be a 2005 Lotus Elise that is already ordered and should be here in April or May. I am sure that I will get more giveways for the drawing. Depending on the interest and cost, I might be including the hotel rooms for 3 nights were the event is headquarted.

I am thinking about doing this in May sometime. I want it to be after the car gets here so the winner can take it with them.

Any comments or ideas? This is something I came up with this week after I realized that I can't run the Gumball Rally! Anyone want to throw in some stuff for charity?

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Chip,

Sounds like a great idea. Keep me posted.

Clark

·
Registered
161 Posts
$1000! I think that in the viper community, you'd be better off doing it for $500 and inviting 200 cars, but then track time will really suffer. Man, that is a tough call. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked more into it and the price is going to drop ALOT. Probably something like $150 for entry and $200 for the raffle. If it is that price, who is interested? I have been talking to Texas Motorsport Ranch about using their track. Any comments?

Chip

·
Registered
161 Posts
$150 for the motorsport ranch? Sign me up! I just paid $300/day for ViperDays!
I guess it will be hard to give away awards for best times with so many different types of machines there, but bragging rights will be PRICELESS if you can whoop an F50 out there!

I'm hoping for no business conflicts, so tentative yes.
Do you think we could get a tax-deductible receipt since its for charity?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try and get charity receipts. That is my plan. I just got an email from TMR, so I have to go through and see what the cost is.

Here is what I am planning on giving for that $150:
Friday:
A 60 mile "rally" to my ranch near Bowie, Texas
A carshow (you car is in it)
A 60 miles "rally" back to the event hotel

Saturday
lapping days hopefully at Texas Motorsport Ranch

Saturday Night
Banquet - Dinner included.

A non driving guest would be an additional $50.

1 in 300 chance to win a 2005 Lotus Elise - $200 ea.

If I don't sell 250 tickets for the car, it would turn into a 50/50. If I do get at least 250 tickets sold and the winner does not want the car, they will get the purchase price (around $39k) in cash.

These entry numbers may change a little once details are figured out, but that is what I am trying to hold it to.

This all will be for the Foster Kid foundation near my ranch. This is something I am thinking about doing once a year for a different charity.

Any ideas are highly welcome!!! I also might switch the days around (i.e. lapping days on Friday, carshow on Saturday) if it is cheaper (which I think it is)

Chip

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't see a date set yet. Let us know early so I can rearrange my schedule for this one!

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
chip, you know my stance on this...sounds great.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have a TENATIVE date of May 8th. Have to nail down some more details, but that is what I am going with.

Here is how the track day is turning out:
The plan and times can be modified, but generally, a "club day" consists of a
group of car/drivers that come out to visit MotorSport Ranch even during a
member weekend - the minimum number we like to do is 20 cars, the maximum is 32. There should be one driver per car, no sharing of cars. We allow passengers on the two "lead and follow" sessions, but not in the later sessions. Helmets are not required during the "lead and
follow" sessions, but are required for the open sessions later. MotorSport Ranch has a supply of helmets for rent for $10.00 each. Each driver and passenger is required to sign the necessary insurance waiver.

Participants arrive before 1:00 p.m.
Beginning at about 1:00 p.m.
Intro and safety meeting
Lead and follow session #1
with pace cars
no helmets required
passengers allowed
Classroom session
Lead and follow session #2
with pace cars
no helmets required
passengers allowed
Classroom session

Beginning at about 5:00 p.m.
Break into two groups
more experienced
less experienced
Run two 25 minute sessions per group
no pace cars
helmets required
no passengers allowed
alternating sessions
up to 20 cars on the track at the same time
passing allowed only on the two longest straights
drive as fast as you want

Remember, the times may change. Any comments would be apprecaited!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why does the track go HOT so late? Is there another club using this track in the morning? To paraphrase Skip Thomas, you're paying for the track for the day, so why not use the WHOLE day (or something like that).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think I am paying for it all day. That is the times that they offer. I have another option to run it down here near New Orleans (No Problem Raceway).

If I did it here, it would be an all day hot lapping with instructors (no class room).

With that being said....if the price is right...who's interested?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts