Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if one is doing 135-140 in the 1320 what is the estimate one would be doing in the same car in the standing mile?? is there any wat to estimate what you would run?

·
Registered
21,933 Posts
stock vipers will almost do 170 so logic would say that trap speeds that are 15-20% higher than stock should be about the same (maybe a little less) so figure 190ish....maybe 200

·
Registered
877 Posts
one mile test done by MT(at least a few yrs ago) on a stock GTS was almost 165mph the SRT was slightly higher. RT's maybe quiker in the 1/4 mi lighter weight, but the aerodynamics will have more of an effect at the over 130mph range and the gts should start to make more top speed inthe mile.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,854 Posts
Estimates are just that, estimates. Just like adding up all the horsepower you are going to get out of the Summit racing catalog. But when the rubber meets the road it never turns out quite as optomistic as hoped. Here is what I know from experience: A GTS body can run 190+ mph in the standing mile with about 700 rw hp. Aerodynamics, gearing, tire size, alignment and a lot of other factors will make a big difference in the outcome. From my own experience in testing an RT10 up to 188 mph at the Silver State many years ago, you would be crazy to try to run an RT10 at anything over 170 mph for very long. Just too unstable in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
WV98GTS said:
If my calculations are correct, you are looking at about 347.638490518762 mph. That was figured with a 2.55452863 mph crosswind, 86.4672894% relative humidity, at 514.843956 ft. about sea level. Any questions?
/images/graemlins/nono

You are off by .0000000001 by my calculator

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thnx JH.

ryan, LOL, you ass /images/graemlins/toothy

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
SylvanSRT said:
I check my old mags Nov. 2000 Motor Trend stock ACR GTS 164.55 mph standing mile(460 hp), second only to the Shelby series 1(supercharged) @ $165,000 and only by a mph or two
Well if you are looking for records, then you should have looked back to the May '98 issue of Motor Trend. "Fast and Furious". Another multi-supercar test.

The Dodge Viper GTS did the standing mile in 30.1 seconds at 173.3 mph.

0-100 in 8.8 secs

0-60 in 4.1 secs

Top speed 192.6 mph.

Slalom at 72.5 mph....which stood as an MT production car record for years and years. I believe it was just broken last year.

Max lateral G: 1.01

This was a McDonald's GTS (Red with yellow wheels) with 11,000 miles on the odometer and LOTS of previous media abuse on it before it got to M.T. It blew a water pump gasket in the top speed test and Dodge sent a replacement for the remainder of the tests.

And yes, I keep all my old issues of MotorTrend. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Rich, I was looking in my big book of formulas for something that might help you figure out your question.

Only thing I found was:

"The Angle of the Dangle, times the Mass of the Ass, equals the Heat of the Meat".

HTH :yotony:

/images/graemlins/toothy

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Rich, it depends on the altitude. If you are talking about a car that runs 135-140 at the same altitude you plan to do the standing mile, I would guess around 190 MPH in the mile. I would monitor the EGT's and air-fuel to be safe. A supercharger car running at a higher altitude will make less boost than at a lower altitude with the same pulley. A turbo car will make the same boost at the higher altitude by just having to spin a little faster before they make the target boost level. Which car are you planning to run?

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
planning on running my silver rt10. it should be completed as far as the NA goes (stroked/heads/cam). ive started considering another viper (acr) and i want to TT that one, ive spoken briefly with heffner so as soon as i find the car he will do his magic. i would use the acr but damn if i just dont like the top off a car too much

·
Registered
496 Posts
JH....if I remember right didnt the 800TT(GTS) car that MT tested back a awhile ago run just shy of 200mph in the standing mile?...and if i remember right it was damp or something and they mentioned they felt as though the car would have easily hit the 200mph mark on a dry surface where the car could have been pushed to its limits...

Anthony

·
Registered
496 Posts
Paolo Castellano said:
Anthony, from what I remember, it ran 193.6 in the mile. But that was probably the first test the turbo car did for the magazine. They are much faster now. But so is everybody else........... :thumb:
yeah i think the car ran a 9.98 or something in the 1/4 as well....obviously things have come quite a ways since that article...

Anthony

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
VIPERn94FIVE0 said:
Paolo Castellano said:
Anthony, from what I remember, it ran 193.6 in the mile. But that was probably the first test the turbo car did for the magazine. They are much faster now. But so is everybody else........... :thumb:
yeah i think the car ran a 9.98 or something in the 1/4 as well....obviously things have come quite a ways since that article...

Anthony
Anthony, I need to get you an updated pegged speedo picture the next time I hit 200+. You do not need any of that 199 crap! :thumb: /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.