Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an autocross this weekend. On one of my runs, I went into a corner a bit too hot and spun the car.. as the car spun out, I think i stalled it and as the car spun backwards, it bump started the engine in reverse! :ugh: Having my helmet on, I couldn't hear what was going on and didn't realize what had happened. I had the clutch in, put it into first and started going backwards.. WTF! took it out of gear, put it back in first and went backwards again and this time stalled it. Took a bit to get it restarted, but it ran fine afterwards. I figgure it can't be good to have the engine running in reverse like that. I did get it on video, and should post it later tonight. You can definitely hear the engine misfiring badly when it was running backwards. Truly some crazy stuff! Anyone ever have this happen to them??

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
Ummm, I don't think that's good. The engine, alternator, water pump, none of that is meant to run the opposite direction. Obviously it wasn't running well, but you might want to have everything checked out. I've never heard of anything like that happening.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
When I was in Iraq...we had a generator do that. It ran like shit. But after we shut it off then re-started it. It worked fine for about 3 months...then the motor died. But that was because it was a aircooled engine in the middle of 160+ heat. It kinda melted.

·
Registered
19,181 Posts
Not good , check for metal shavings in the oil. I saw something on NASCAR about this causing motor problems during long tire smoking slides and burnouts. I thought they were talking about spinning it the wrong way , I did not think it would fire. I used to have an old two stroke motorcycle that I could push start backwards and it would run , but that was a small bore two stroke. :idea:

·
Registered
141 Posts
A few years back when changing the starter in my 911 turbo my motor did that. The shop had given me the wrong starter, it turned backward. when I tried to start the car after installing the starter it wouldn't crank. It also sounded odd while it was turning over. At first I was stumped, I had a friend try and start it while I stood at the back. I noticed the fan was turning opposite then usual. Then I noticed exhaust coming out the intake. The tail pipe was also now taking in air instead of expelling it. I don't think it is even possible to get the car to run in this condition.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2002GTS said:
A few years back when changing the starter in my 911 turbo my motor did that. The shop had given me the wrong starter, it turned backward. when I tried to start the car after installing the starter it wouldn't crank. It also sounded odd while it was turning over. At first I was stumped, I had a friend try and start it while I stood at the back. I noticed the fan was turning opposite then usual. Then I noticed exhaust coming out the intake. The tail pipe was also now taking in air instead of expelling it. I don't think it is even possible to get the car to run in this condition.

Bill
Well, the viper engine will do it.. how else do you explain putting it into first gear and going backwards? I'll get off my ass and convert that video tonight.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
That's incredible. If you didn't do it I'd swear it couldn't be done.

I would look at all the pumps, but everything is probably ok. That would be fun to explain to the service writer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.