Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to detail my snake’s engine bay. I freely admit that I am not a motorhead, but I’m trying to learn. As such, I do know that there are items that NEED to stay dry and or need special handling attention. Anyone have tips - or even better pics - on what to stay away from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Best thing I've found for natural look is the K&N cleaner solution that comes with your Air Cleaner kit. That stuff is amazing! Doesn't harm the finish on the aluminum or power coated surfaces. You can spritz it on and wash if off with a mild soap and rinse. Makes it sparkle. (Assuming you don't have caked on crude)
I bought a gallon bottle from Summit and keep the spray bottle full.

·
Registered
426 Posts
K & N filter cleaner is caustic! Do Not Spray it on hot surfaces, painted surfaces, raw aluminum or magnesium.
How dirty is your engine and under hood area?
What I have learned in 26 tears of manufacturing car wash equipment, is not to let the engine compartment get very dirty in the first place, even on our power stroke diesels.
I have not found anything in the Viper engine bay that can be damaged by washing, or any of my other vehicles for that matter.
What I do:
I was my engine & engine compartment at the local self-service car wash. Let it cool a little with the hood open when you get there. Do your wheels & tires first. Then pre-soak the exterior of the car (bottom-up) then wash the exterior from the top down.
Pre-soak the engine compartment, then wash the engine compartment. You never need to get closer than 18", so don't.
Rinse, wax if you want to, then thoroughly cover everything with Spot Free Rinse. If this car wash does not have S.F.R., go to one that does!
Close hood, proceed to drying area.
Armor-All, your engine and compartment will love it. If you are going for the parking-lot/cruise-in shiny engine & compartment look, spray everything with it. For a more detailed look, only the black stuff, rubber, hoses, wires, panels - anything black.
There you go, one clean, detailed engine & compartment. :thumb:

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I spray the dirty areas with engine degreeser, let sit about 5min, hit it with the pressure washer, then go over it with some armor all type stuff. Works great takes less then .5 hour to make it look perfect.

Now washing and waxing...that takes a little more time. /images/graemlins/wink :thumbs:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you spray/wet the engine, keep in mind that there are hollow depressions underneath the intake manifold. These rather large cavities are between the webs in the engine "vee" between cylinder banks and can hold/trap a large amount of liquid. You might be able to blow them clear with an air compressor, or vacuum them dry with a shop-vac and small diameter tube. As far as cleaning the cavities themselves, short of removing the intake manifold I haven't found a convenient way to do it.

·
Registered
24,396 Posts
I had some oil in them cavities from a leak that tator fixed for me a few weeks ago and today I got some auto/oil diapers and used one of them bendable part grabbers with the claw on it. It got down in there pretty good and cleaned them decent on the first pass. later im gonna try to get a better job done on cleaning it out.

after im done washing it, gona use the leaf blower to get it dry and blow any remaining water out.

·
Banned
10,158 Posts
my engine is clean as it was new. the trick is to wipe it done with quick detailer after each washing. armour all sucks because it attracts dirt and dust quicker. may make it shiny for the shows but sucks otherwise. get yourself a shark portable steam cleaner, like the tv show sells. i bought mine in target. it is the best for oil stains on the block or wheels on rugs... 120.00 it pays for itself in weeks. buy one for the inside of the house to so your wife stops bitching at you for using hers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.