Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking at an older Viper Roadster. I noticed that there is no permanent roof.

There must be some sort of protection in case of rain?

How fast can you drive with it on?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
There is a soft top which goes in the trunk (and occupies about 80% of the trunk space). This can be assembled in about five minutes once you've had some practice. (The older ones are somewhat more difficult to install once you've unfolded everything.) I've had mine on the car at speeds of up to 135 MPH, although officially I think they say 75 is max, and frankly I get a bit worried over 125.

There are aftermarket hardtops available, and a very nice Mopar hardtop for more recent model years.

Do some searching, there are tons of photos out there of RT/10s with the soft top on them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Chrysler sells OEM, very $$.
A great option is the new hardtop that breaks down and fits in trunk. Saw it in Viper magazine.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
The only soft top I am aware of is the OEM one. There are a range of aftermarket hardtops, including the recent one which is sectional and can be disassembled and stored in the trunk.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
CitySnake said:
viperdude600 said:
anyone know a website where i can find one
?
here
Uh, whoa, I've never seen an aftermarket soft-top before, what a good price, wonder about the quality - anybody ever buy one of the Ez-On auto tops before?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Someone posted on the VCA forums that those were junk, and didn't work even remotely as advertise, highly recommended as a DO NOT BUY!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I thought those tops on ebay were just canvas replacements, ie you still needed the frame.

Something cheap and perfect might be a top made in a hard plastic similar to the collapsible hard top that has recently been released.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
slaughterj said:
CitySnake said:
viperdude600 said:
anyone know a website where i can find one
?
here
Uh, whoa, I've never seen an aftermarket soft-top before, what a good price, wonder about the quality - anybody ever buy one of the Ez-On auto tops before?
I wasn't RECOMMENDING this product. The poster asked for a website AFTER everyone told him to buy the OE product. So I posted what he seemed to want. /images/graemlins/wink

·
Premium Member
19,232 Posts
What year is the roadster? I have one that will fit 94-96 RT/10's. Sold the car, have the soft top left over. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
viperdude600 said:
im not sure about the cloth one now, how fast does it say you can drive with it on
Some of us have been 170mph with the soft top on, however, expect a lot of noise as you reach higher speeds and the front lip of the top starts to lift a bit from the windshield frame.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
viperdude600 said:
LOL! 170mph WOW! thats really amazing that the car goes so fast? How fast does dodge say to drive with it on?
Nowhere in the manual or video with the car does it say a limit on speeds in any configuration (topless, soft top, hard top). Various people "seem" to know a #, and when I took my original softtop in to be replaced under warranty (hole formed in top, latches went bad, etc.), one of the "know-it-all" salesmen tried to tell me that the manual says not to go over 40mph - LOL! Whatta dumbass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
slaughterj said:
one of the "know-it-all" salesmen tried to tell me that the manual says not to go over 40mph - LOL! Whatta dumbass.
It doesn't say so in the manual and he tried to tell you that anyway?
Uhh... here's a really fast car, but don't take it over 40mph.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
viperdude600 said:
slaughterj said:
one of the "know-it-all" salesmen tried to tell me that the manual says not to go over 40mph - LOL! Whatta dumbass.
It doesn't say so in the manual and he tried to tell you that anyway?
Uhh... here's a really fast car, but don't take it over 40mph.
Not over 40mph with the soft top on :rofl:

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Actually, 40MPH is fine..since the ONLY time it would be on my car is in and unexpected rainstorm. 40MPH in a Viper in the rain is fine for me. Whenever it rarely occurs, I;m so pissed that I have to clean the car that I'D be a dangerous driver over 40 MPH! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts