Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make one for the viper? It's always good to free up that extra power.

Has anyone tried hooking up a "kill switch" for the alt. I did that with one of my other cars and it worked well. It was much like adding a Under Drive Pulley. Wasn't a huge gain but enough to notice.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Tanked said:
Does anyone make one for the viper? It's always good to free up that extra power.

Has anyone tried hooking up a "kill switch" for the alt. I did that with one of my other cars and it worked well. It was much like adding a Under Drive Pulley. Wasn't a huge gain but enough to notice.
Mezieres makes an electric water pump that could work for a Viper. I think the supercharger cars that run hot when in traffic when slow speeds and minimal airflow start to make the car run hot. The electric pumps provide a more consistent flow irregardless of speed and engine RPM. I would sure as hell hate to have that bitch go out though....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I think I found some language once after doing a search that putting a kill switch on the alternator won't do anything. Plus there's the question of whether modern hi output ignition systems need every amp they can get going down the strip.

I looked into the electric water pump idea. I think on a Gen2 the needed serpentine belt re-routing due to no water pump pulley looked to be a huge PITA. Isn't the crossmember kind of in the way for an electric water pump? Just a few of the obstacles.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I may not know a lot about engines and turbos and such, but i do know electricity, electronics and a bunch of other things related to how to manipulate electrons.

There is no way i can be gulled into agreeing that a modern car's ignition system needs a lot of amperage. It needs tons of voltage (to generate spark) but there is very little wattage (energy) involved in generating that for lets say a quarter mile. Heck, the batteries are strong enough to crank an entire engine AND an ignition system while everything is cold and doesn't move all that well... Sending a bit of juice down to 10 spark plugs and an engine management system is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things if you have a healthy and charged up battery.

my few cents

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,863 Posts
Smokin said:
How much torque do you really think is consumed? Thats one thing we really arent nickling and diming ourselves over....unless we are...uhhhhh...You.

i thought tanker was a poser anyway.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope not a poser. I do have a 01 gts acr. Like it says...01 acr stock...but paid for.

You are right smokin, I don't have enough tq. 452rwtq just isn't enough :thumb: DAMN stock cream puff.

I think the best reason to use a electric water pump would be to help keep a modified engine cool while driving in traffic or around town or at the track. I don't know about anyone else but with my stock viper...I never have a issue of it getting hot. It did get a little on the warm side while at Pacific Raceways. The brakes fading where a bigger issue at the time.

Something I think that would interesting. The guys that are running the AEM systems could control that electric water pump with the EMS. They could have the pump turn on/off and variable speed biased on eng temp. How cool would that be :thumbs: Besides we all know that electric pump is good for 1.1bhp gain.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I still don't think an electric motor on the front of a Viper water pump is gonna clear the crossmember. How are you going to route the serpentine belt once the water pump pulley's gone? HA?

Get a non-AC serpentine belt and save some hp an easier way.

Lose 10lbs and net the same gain in power/weight ratio.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
FE065 said:
I still don't think an electric motor on the front of a Viper water pump is gonna clear the crossmember. How are you going to route the serpentine belt once the water pump pulley's gone? HA?

Get a non-AC serpentine belt and save some hp an easier way.

Lose 10lbs and net the same gain in power/weight ratio.
I think the only benefit for an electric pump would be for additional low speed water flow as paolo said. However reliability of the pump would be a continued concern as would the limitations airflow through the radiator via electric fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.