Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an eight second streetmachine is amazing IMO. i have never been stupid enough to think the viper is a good dragracing vehicle for the sole purpose of dragracing only but its fun and i enjoy it, the beauty is the total package aspect of the viper.

anyway back on topic. ive always considered supras like vipers; not a sole dragracing machine but a good total package high performance car. are eight second supras truly that doable and yet remain a streetmachine?? i know everyone has their own definition of a streetmachine but i would asume working/racing on pumpgas and daily driver capability (around town and highway trips) are two universal factors?

·
Registered
267 Posts
8 Second Supra = BIG BOOST.. 30-45lbs.. No way ANY of these cars run on pump gas. Not to mention peak power is at 8500+ rpms. Do these sound like daily drivers?

IMO, It's all perception. Being able to adjust the boost might make it "possible" to drive the car on the street. But with a HUGE turbo to spool, a small (low torque) motor and the need for high rpms, even if it could survive, can you really call these cars streetable... Much less "daily drivers". Not to mention transmissions, parachutes, race suspension and everything else you need to run 160mph on a drag strip.

I have nothing but respect for what the supra is capable of, but I think the term 8-second street car is more appropriately termed a "streetable" 8-second race car. Cruise it on the weekend with low boost if your feeling crazy but you simply cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Scott W

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I agree with Scott. The ones I've seen also need N2O plus high boost.
Big converters + autos, or light weight 6spds. The balls to the walls set ups are very fast on race gas, no doubt, but seating ducks on pump gas if they can run pump gas at all. Plus I don't think they are that reliable at that power level..1200rwhp+. But like Scott, I got nothing but lots of repect for the Mega HP Supras, just not my Super fast street car by my own definition.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Scott, you are wrong. The VW car makes an avg. HP of around 890 rwhp, but makes that rwhp from 5200 - 8000 rpm. It traps 154 mph and is full weight. You can drive around town under zero boost and cruise in a Lexus type vehicle. In addition, these cars make TONS of power on pump. My car for example makes 700 rwhp on pump gas, more power than MOST Vipers that run around the streets. I'm working with David to do a joint Supra/Viper Nationals, you will see some examples of what i'm talking about there. In addition, these cars will last forever making 700-900 rwhp on the stock bottom end.
Peter

·
Registered
267 Posts
Peter,
I've been wrong before and I will not argue supras with you. But I will argue race cars and the 8-second supras I've witnessed at the last 3 supra nationals don't qualify as "daily drivers" to anyone except the most jaded supra fan. You can turn down the boost and run pump gas and cruise, but these are extensively modified vehicles. To sell them off as docile "Lexus like" cruisers is a bit of a stretch. Either way, they are bad ass cars and make great dyno queens. :nod:
Scott

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree that an 8 second Supra may not be as "streetable" as a nearly stock Supra or Lexus, but disagree with the statement below. At an actual ~735 RWHP one of my previous Supras ran a 10.41 and 143.2 MPH (not on the same pass) on 17" drag radials. This was without NOS on a 3780 pound (weight of the car with me in it using a scale at the track) with a 6speed transmission. These numbers compare well with ~700+ RWHP Vipers I have seen on DR's even though Vipers are a bit lighter than Supras.

Also Peter is absolutely right about the where peak power occurs.

SGC ZR1 said:
Peter, a 700 rwhp Supra will not trap or E.T like a 700 rwhp Turbo viper.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A supra can be an 8 second street machine, not a problem.

BUT, now here it comes.

Will not pass emision testing, no way no how.-Not street leagal.
Will have all the manerisims of a race car driving arround on the street.
Will not be able to do any thing close to 8 second pass unless 116 octane fuel/ and or Methanol is involved.

This is true for any 9 second or faster car, there may be a few exceptions like 8L Viper engines, or cars that have motors big enough to be able to live with low octane fuel/and smog equipment.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
TRD, that was one fast set up you had . Most of the ones I've seen trapping low 140s are making over 830 rwhp. There are always exceptions.Some need 900rwhp to get over 150 traps, and others over 1100 rwhp. The Supra engine is a very strong engine, and can make power like crazy. It all depends on individuals preferences, and the compromises one is willing to make in the name of ultimate performance. The "street car/streetability" of a 8 or 9 second car is a very big gray area. I would think a 900 rwhp Turbo Viper must have some advantages over a 900 rwhp 3.0 liter Supra.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Having owned 2 Supras and a TT Viper, I can tell you my Viper will run faster with the same numerical hp number due to the area under the curve. My previous Supra with 650rwhp, I managed [email protected] on ET Streets/skinnies. This Supra on 18" Nitto DR's and ~680rwhp I've managed [email protected], both 6 Speed cars. Since I've had the Viper, I've not made a full 1/4 pass since the clutch has not cooperated except for one pass on 19" Radials which yielded an [email protected] @ 750rwhp. But Heffner has made a few passes on ET Street/skinnies and on 750rwhp went [email protected] and on 700rwhp went [email protected]

For comparision I'm going to use a good friends Supra that makes around 750rwhp and on ET Streets/skinnies he consistently runs 9.9x-10.1x and average traps are 143mph. The traps will show the Viper being the faster car with the same numerical peak dyno number.

As for streetability/comfort, there is no comparison. Even with a 750rwhp setup, the Supra drives and behaves like a stock Supra which we all know resembles the findings of a Lexus. Granted race gas is required to make higher hp numbers, but at 25mpg, it's not that bad of a deal! And yes my Supra will easily attain 25mpg when you are friendly on the go pedal!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hey guys, great discussion here! I will say that I am a firm believer that displacement + boost is the ideal combo. We (supra guys) unfortunately only have 183 ci to play with, based on the nature of the motor, we need to run high boost to make high HP numbers, this in turn requires race gas. Now, as for area under the curve, it ALL depends on the setup!!!! MANY Supras are not set up the way I would set my car up if I were looking for area. Here's an example of area:
My last 98 supra - 958 rwhp peak - 1800 rpm of "over 900 rwhp"
RSI Stroker/NOS car - around 1000 rwhp peak - 800 rpm of "over 900 rwhp"
The Supra had MORE area under the curve and theoretically would trap higher than that viper all things equal. Of course this does not take into consideration weight, gearing, aerodynamics, driver, conditions, etc... Just a quick example to point out that area under the curve (which is what dictates MPH) of a Supra with our measely motor is not as bad as long as the car is properly setup.

Now, as for streetability, I can promise you that my car is more comfortable than a 750 rwhp (S/C'ed) Viper and I can guarantee you that it would be faster (MPH) than the Viper. A PRIME example would be when my buddy Jason was making around 750 rwhp and we raced top end (well, 2nd-4th). I was on pump running 18-20 psi making around 700-750 rwhp and I would ever so slightly pull him in a roll on race. I know this is NOT a perfect example, but these cars are more closely matched than many of you think at comparable power levels.

In the end, i'm just a car guy that LOVES the Supra and LOVES the Viper. I will know VERY soon if the joint Supra/Viper Nationals is going to happen and if it does, we should see some VERY fast cars from both camps!
Peter

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
houstonT said:
In the end, i'm just a car guy that LOVES the Supra and LOVES the Viper. I will know VERY soon if the joint Supra/Viper Nationals is going to happen and if it does, we should see some VERY fast cars from both camps!
Peter

:stupid:

If I could, I'd have a two turbo cars sitting in my garage Big single turbo Viper GTS ACR and a Big single turbo Supra. :thumb:

Both would be viper red.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.