Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from getting my 02 B-bee dynoed and I'm a little dissappointed. My high numbers were 397.7 hp and 410.5 tq and low numbers were 390.4 hp and 413.0 tq. First off its not totally stock. It does have a B&B cat-back, high flow cats and smooth tubes and filters. I think I may have lost some due to the fact that the dyno was basically in a covered outdoor shed and was not air conditioned but at outdoor temperature. I live in Charleston, SC and the outside temp right now is 91 with about 50 percent humidity, and it felt a little hotter in the dyno area. Also, the fan that blows air into the facia of the car was mounted in the wall about 10 feet in front of the car and about 4 feet above the floor. The dyno was an in floor dynojet and was the only one I found in the immediate area. I was figuring I should've been good for at least 415hp. Would the enviorment the car was in make that big of a difference?

· Donald Trump's Landlord
7,234 Posts
BigMac said:
Just got back from getting my 02 B-bee dynoed and I'm a little dissappointed. My high numbers were 397.7 hp and 410.5 tq and low numbers were 390.4 hp and 413.0 tq. First off its not totally stock. It does have a B&B cat-back, high flow cats and smooth tubes and filters. I think I may have lost some due to the fact that the dyno was basically in a covered outdoor shed and was not air conditioned but at outdoor temperature. I live in Charleston, SC and the outside temp right now is 91 with about 50 percent humidity, and it felt a little hotter in the dyno area. Also, the fan that blows air into the facia of the car was mounted in the wall about 10 feet in front of the car and about 4 feet above the floor. The dyno was an in floor dynojet and was the only one I found in the immediate area. I was figuring I should've been good for at least 415hp. Would the enviorment the car was in make that big of a difference?
Based on the "real world" dyno facts as you presented them, I'd say your car IS over 415 hp. Once you drop the temp, the humidity, add ice and a 50 MPH fan, you'd probably wind up with an extra "dyno" 25 HP! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

· Landscaping Professional
14,103 Posts
Those are low numbers, especially considering your mods. I would expect your car to be in the neighborhood of 415/455 at a minimum. SAE correction factors should give you good data regardless of the ambient conditions. One thing that could easily have been wrong is a floormat pushed up far enough to limit throttle pedal travel. I've seen it happen more than once.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still pretty new to all this, what exactly does SAE mean? I had the floormats in the car, but not under the gas pedal. If I'm forced to use the same dyno again, I'll wait until October or November for it to cool off around here.

· Registered
698 Posts
Did you drive the car hard before you dynoed? sometimes you need get the computer to get to full power. My car dynoed 411/460 with the same mods as you 2 years ago. now with headers,vec1,rockers I'm at 454/489.

isaac

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did'nt drive it hard, the place was only abou 5 miles from here but it was in stop and go traffic with a/c on. Was at the shop for about 5 minutes before we put it on the dyno and did the runs. Did'nt cool it down or anything. This was my first time so I'm not familiar with all the tricks. Please give some insight on what to do before the run.

7,234 Posts
BigMac said:
Did'nt drive it hard, the place was only abou 5 miles from here but it was in stop and go traffic with a/c on. Was at the shop for about 5 minutes before we put it on the dyno and did the runs. Did'nt cool it down or anything. This was my first time so I'm not familiar with all the tricks. Please give some insight on what to do before the run.
Add a supercharger!

· Registered
475 Posts
SAE corrected means that the dyno software applied a correction factor to the HP/TQ numbers to compensate for any air temperature, humidity or elevation factors that would affect the dyno. You should always use SAE corrected numbers as it removes these factors from the equation. The dyno sheet should state whether it is SAE corrected or not.

Are you sure it was a Dynojet dyno? Your numbers look about right for a Mustang dyno, but low for a Dynojet.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guy told me it was a dynojet and I did see on the program on the computer where it did say dynojet. The sheet I got does not mention SAE anywhere on it.The guy told me it was the first Viper to ever be on his dyno.

· Registered
475 Posts
BigMac said:
The guy told me it was a dynojet and I did see on the program on the computer where it did say dynojet. The sheet I got does not mention SAE anywhere on it.The guy told me it was the first Viper to ever be on his dyno.
Big red flag that the issue is probably with the dyno and not your car!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a search on here to look at other guys printed out dyno sheets. Everyone else's says SAE Horespower or SAE torque. Mine say STD Horsepower and STD Torque. Does the STD mean estimated(I know not sexually transmitted disease if thats what one of you guys were fixing to put down)And how would that differ from the SAE?

· Registered
698 Posts
STD is standard with no correction. in most cases, the sae is going to be about 10 hp lower than std. I guess it doesn't really matter here, because you feel your numbers are low whether it's std or sae. Do a couple of things, burp your cooling system, change your plugs. reset your pcm and do some spirited driving before you get to the dyno. last time I dynoed, I gained about 10hp. All I did was cleaned my air filters, changed to a thicker oil, and changed my plugs.

7,234 Posts
PRVT JET said:
STD is standard with no correction. in most cases, the sae is going to be about 10 hp lower than std. I guess it doesn't really matter here, because you feel your numbers are low whether it's std or sae. Do a couple of things, burp your cooling system, change your plugs. reset your pcm and do some spirited driving before you get to the dyno. last time I dynoed, I gained about 10hp. All I did was cleaned my air filters, changed to a thicker oil, and changed my plugs.
I'm confused. If it was hot and humid as hell, wouldn't the correction ADD hp and torque?

· Landscaping Professional
14,103 Posts
CitySnake said:
I'm confused. If it was hot and humid as hell, wouldn't the correction ADD hp and torque?
Yes, you are correct. Great conditions yield a negative correction factor and vise-versa.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.