Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Enlightened
28,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '99 Durango that has about 60k miles on it. Lately when I go around corners, the transmission drops a gear and revs real high (maybe drops to neutral first?). When I had it serviced last they told me the fluid was down and it seemed to run good for a while. When this started the other week, I added more fluid - only I think I might have added too much as for the next week I had a good amount under my car and on my driveway!

When I check the fluid, it seems to be in the normal range - its nor as obvious as oil is on the indicator.

Any ideas? Should I be calling AAMCO?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
ask snake bitten about durango tranny's.

My honest advice is to sell it as fast as you can.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Where is it leaking fluid from? It could be a simple as needing a new shift shaft seal.

If you have any dodge auto tranny questions call Wayne, he builds a lot of dodge race tranny parts and really knows his stuff.

www.apsprecision.com

Hey he can build you a race tranny that will hold 850hp for less than an aamco rebuild.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Have you performed any previous maintenance on the tranny?

I have changed the fluid and filter every 30K, and right now I am up around 97K and my tranny is fine.

Sounds like the torque converter was being starved for fluid. When you turned the pick up could not get enough fluid, the torque converter would loose pressure and slip. If you did it enough, you may have damaged your torque converter.

Good luck,

Durango trannies are droppin' like flies around here! /images/graemlins/bigsmile

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
My tranny was coming out of overdrive, then getting hot (47K miles on it)...The last time it happened, I couldn't get off the highway for a while and it cooked...(or at least I wasn't getting off the highway until it cooked)

I had just serviced the tranny five months prior...the tranny oil was still as red and the day I put it in...

$50 and two weeks later I had a brand new tranny, under my extended 7/70...

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
packetjunkie said:
I've got a '99 Durango that has about 60k miles on it. Lately when I go around corners, the transmission drops a gear and revs real high (maybe drops to neutral first?). When I had it serviced last they told me the fluid was down and it seemed to run good for a while. When this started the other week, I added more fluid - only I think I might have added too much as for the next week I had a good amount under my car and on my driveway!

When I check the fluid, it seems to be in the normal range - its nor as obvious as oil is on the indicator.

Any ideas? Should I be calling AAMCO?
Mike, I hate to say it, but modern day Chrysler products have shitty trannys. Tranny problems around 60-70K miles is very, very common. Time to trade it in before all the other typical Chrysler problems start kicking in. :ugh:

·
Enlightened
28,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, ok. Well, I'll take it in for service this week and see what they say. Might be time to trade-up. Thanks for all the info!

·
Enlightened
28,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like it was a bad seal... $300 repair and off to get the lower front fender replaced! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Jerome said:
You guys think Mopar trannies suck? My buddy owns his own trans shop and 75% of his work is Ford. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

On another note, my brother has 170,000 on his Dakota 4X4 auto trans and has never had more than a fluid and filter change.:nod:
I've been at my local dealer when the parts truck unloads & they would be getting in stacks & stacks of stransaxles. Unfortunately, I too needed one for the wife's Caravan. You've got to admit, their transaxles really suck.

·
Registered
542 Posts
packetjunkie said:
Looks like it was a bad seal... $300 repair and off to get the lower front fender replaced! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
Do you plan on keeping the truck for a while? if so get yourself a Trasn-go shift kit, $100 and if your lazy $150-200 for the install with fluid. It will help you get the most life from that beast, totally tunable, anything from a nice firm shift to chirping the tires going into OD.

As for the fluid color, with the chrysler ATF-4 you can't judge it by color, it has a dye that changes color over time, it will get considerably darker but has no adverse effects on performance.

Aside from the shift kit the best thing you can do is get an aux tranny coller and take the cooler lines out of the radiator, the cooler you keep the auto tranny the longer it will last.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts