Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Driver's Side wiper motor is going dead (1996 RT). I called the Dodge stealership and was quoted $500 for a new motor???? Oh yeah... and this part is apparently not covered by the Added Care Extended Warranty???

Oh well.. oh hell..... I remember reading somewhere that the wiper motors are also from the rear hatch window for one of the mini-vans??? Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,
Lance

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
If I remember right, it is the rear wiper motor to a caravan. I bet Dean would know for sure, he seems to remember this stuff.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If the Caravan approach doesn't work take the motor to a motor rewind shop. Look in the yellow pages under Electrical Motor Repair. If you don't have any success, send it to me I will get it done for you.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Depends on what is happening there Lance. I quickly became Viper Wiper Motor educated with my '96. What are the symptoms you are seeing?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tie....... the driver's side wiper will move intermittently. Sometimes it goes up... and stays there for two cycles of the passenger side.... sometimes it moves in a jerking motion up and down.... sometimes it sits at the bottom and the passenger side does a cycle or three........

I read my extended warranty contract and called DC... apparently the wiper motors and wiper control module ARE covered under my contract.... so I called the dealership back... they are going to check into and call me back.

Thankyou!
Lance

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What is happening is the passenger side motor is bad. These wiper motors sense each other positions and that's how they avoid collision.

When one wiper motor goes bad the "good" motor can't read the bad motots signal and the good motor acts badly. The Drivers side motor is good and not getting a signal from the passenger motor so it stops and stutters not knowing what to do. You can find wiper motors for $200 or so if you search the net.

I have also heard from reputable sources that the motor is indeed the mini-van rear wiper motor.

Who gives a hoot if its under warranty, but mine wasn't. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts