Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>Dragging with 17 vs 18 inch BFG\'s<

Those of you that drag your car regularly, what is the main difference between using a 17 inch wheel with the 17 inch BFG's vs. going to an 18 inch wheel?

The reason I ask is that I may be picking up a full set of race wheels that are 18's front (which I need for road coursing) and 17's rear which I don't need, but I could use to slap on some 17" BFG's and use for 1/4 mile racing instead of the 18's I have now. I know one is a lot cheaper to buy tires, but is there a performance difference?

Manny

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,863 Posts
Re: >Dragging with 17 vs 18 inch BFG\'s<

17" allow for a wider sidewall.. wider sidewall = more sidewall flex = better launch..

the CCW drag package for vettes is 16"

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So, 17's -- is that what most of the top guys at the V10's are running?

·
7,863 Posts

Manny_C said:
So, 17's -- is that what most of the top guys at the V10's are running?
i would guess so.. for BFGs.. i would assume the MT guys are on 16" if they fit

·
Mother Fucker
1,944 Posts

Most guys from what I've seen run the 18inch drag setup as they are 345s as opposed to the 315s you get with the 17 in wheels :nod:

Manny stick with the 18 inch drag radials and lower those puppies to about 15psi. They will bite hard in second gear, hard enough to go airborne /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
7,863 Posts

Moundir said:
Most guys from what I've seen run the 18inch drag setup as they are 345s as opposed to the 315s you get with the 17 in wheels :nod:
for DRs?.. hrm.. the width makes a bigger difference than sidewall?

and if youre gonna run DRs.. why not ETs?.. heh

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

I run and would recommend the 18" DR's. They are good for low 1.5 sixty-foots on my DLM completely stock suspension ACR (and I've only made 4 passes, 3 in the mid to low 1.5's!). The benefit of DR's is that you can drive around on them, at least to the track, which I'm sure is all you would want them for.

Some can only run the DR's because their rear brakes are too big for the CCW package or their front brakes are too big for the skinnies and they don't want to mismatch slicks and radials.

You'll enjoy the LOW tens.

Chad

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Anybody here going to Willow Springs for Open Track on May 19th? Here's a photo of me and SoCal Rebel about to get in my car at the last event.

[image]http://www.opentrackracing.com/wsir0303/wsir68.jpg[/image]

·
7,863 Posts

Manny_C said:
Anybody here going to Willow Springs for Open Track on May 19th? Here's a photo of me and SoCal Rebel about to get in my car at the last event.
i'll be there..

and SEE!.. he does look like he's there to be shot out of a cannon..

·
Mother Fucker
1,944 Posts

Manny_C said:

[image]http://www.opentrackracing.com/wsir0303/wsir68.jpg[/image]
/images/graemlins/dunno I see Socal but no hoes /images/graemlins/wtf We want hoes, well I do anyways /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
53 Posts

I like the bfg 18's we have a consistent 60ft 1.47 1.49 at the track I also use them on the street all the time they hook hard. Et streets on the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.