Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from all the drag racers out there. I want to know what you do at the track to lower your e.t's In particular stock or slightly modified vipers.I know nothing beats good ol fashion seat time and lots of runs but I'm going for the first time and would appreciate very much any tips i.e do you lower tire pressure on stock pilots or do you disconnect sway bar etc... Thanx in advance for any and all info scott

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
On pilots - drop pressure in rears to 22-24psi. sometimes 20. :) frotns - jack it up to 40psi. do a GOOD burnout. some day that a burnout is worthless on pilots but i disagree... I ran a [email protected] on pilots doing a smoky burnout and couldn't do better than 10.8 before with little-to-no burnout.

good luck!

JD

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this may seem obvious but lighten up the car. An old drag racing motto is 100 lbs is a tenth. Run the car without the spare tire and jack, store those in the pits. Also you do not need a full tank of gas to go a quarter mile. Another trick I have seen work on street drive cars is remove the floor mats. I know this seems stupid, but you would be surprised how many cars with thick floor mats prevent wide open throttle. Another tip is while your car is in the staging lanes place a bag of ice on the intake manifold, to cool the incoming air mixture. Also push the car in the lanes, do not start the car and idle waiting for your turn to run. While these tips may seem trivial, and may not decrease ET much they will make you car more consistent. And if you are "bracket racing" consistency is key.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
whew. al kinda triks of the trade. lotta old birds on here who've been racing before some of us even had bicylces, can and maybe will respond to this one. listen to em

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
damn i forgot about that vid, good for anyone to watch and learn, tom is one of the best, guy can drag on street tires like NOONE else!! and that, is skill!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Drop your Pilots to 25-26#, tach it up to 2000rpms (like 1/16th pedal), as soon as you get the light let off the clutch and as soon as it grabs go full throttle.

This should get you 1.8s and 1.9s.

My big problem at the track on Pilots is the 1-2 shift getting out of control. If you hve the same problem try shifting 1-2 earlier at like 5500rpms or even less if necessary or just roll back in to the throttle after the shift at 5800rpms, I go full throttle as soon as I make the shifts which makes traction 1-2 difficult on the Pilots if the track is not prepped well, but....

I'm an all or nothing sort of person.

Somehow Paul on this board has gotten a 1.7x 60' on Pilots by riding out the clutch and has run a 11.7x @ 119.x in a COMPLETELY stock 2001 RT/10 - no filters or anything.

Good luck at the track,

Howard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.