Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't do it. Just won't go. Have to go to 4th. No big deal as I rarely go into 6th, but on my way to San Diego, and earlier on my way to the mountain roads, I discovered this fact.

Anybody have this problem or have an idea why this happens to me?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
tranny problem?? synchros off or going bad maybe?? Id take it in to get checked.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
You can't go from 6th to 5th but you can go from 5th to 6th?

Almost certainly synchros. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV) they will pull the tranny and put a new one in.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SRT Mike said:
You can't go from 6th to 5th but you can go from 5th to 6th?
Yup.

No grinding trying to go 6 to 5, just a dead stop, like hitting a wall. No amount of coersion will allow me to get to 5th from 6th.

4th to 5th: no problem.

5th to 6th: no problem.

6th to 4th: no problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine grinds going from 3rd to 2nd only during downshifts though. Also started to have a hard time going into 3rd during an upshift. Just dropped it off at the dealer. Hope they fix it right :arcade:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
keep the tranny case so it stays numbers matching.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Craig201MPH said:
They won't do it that way under warranty. My '96 kept popping out of reverse. They pulled the tranny and put a new one in. The old one gets sent back to DC. They don't repair trannys.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rwhp said:
Short shifter? What if you rev it up a bit?
1) Yes.

2)Tried matching RPM all over the place. No dice. No problem slipping into 4th though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
CAP said:
Craig201MPH said:
They won't do it that way under warranty. My '96 kept popping out of reverse. They pulled the tranny and put a new one in. The old one gets sent back to DC. They don't repair trannys.
D.C is only worried about making the tranny work properly, so they replace it if it's under warranty. There are too many risks and possible problems with the dealer rebuilding the tranny.

Yes that kinda sucks if you're into matching numbers on all the parts.
But which is more important a working tranny or matching numbers.

These cars were meant to be driven, if someone is worried about replacing parts simply because it won't be numbers matching anymore they may as well put it on a pedestal and stare at it. Of course for most people that would be boring.

They're more fun to own if you drive them. /images/graemlins/gr_driving3.gif

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Rich Detert said:
CAP said:
Craig201MPH said:
D.C is only worried about making the tranny work properly, so they replace it if it's under warranty. There are too many risks and possible problems with the dealer rebuilding the tranny.

Yes that kinda sucks if you're into matching numbers on all the parts.
But which is more important a working tranny or matching numbers.

These cars were meant to be driven, if someone is worried about replacing parts simply because it won't be numbers matching anymore they may as well put it on a pedestal and stare at it. Of course for most people that would be boring.

They're more fun to own if you drive them. /images/graemlins/gr_driving3.gif
That's not to say don't drive them, but numbers matching may be important down the road once the numbers of raodworthy cars diminishes even more. Or it could also imply to a prospective buyer if one ever had to sell that the car was thrashed.

It's just too bad there's no way to maintain original numbers matching..if you're into that stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts