Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Doors won't open while parked and engine running

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  tspargo 
#1 ·
I went through the body diagnostics manual trying to find a solution for this, but no luck.

Both the driver and passenger doors won't open using the normal 'door open' latches if the engine is running, even if I'm not moving. Only the emergency door open latches work.

One other thing that doesn't work as the manual says it should, is that the door LED's go out as soon as the engine is started- the manual says they should only go off once it's moving at 10 mph or higher. Might be related?

Bad EEM?

#2 ·
Could be. The EEM is diagnosed under a different menu option using the DRB-III. Good to see you still at it - hope your ECU problems are getting sorted out.

#7 ·
I haven't checked the outer locks while it's running, but yes, that's correct. The inner electronic latches don't open the door while it's running and stationary.

There's a speed sensor input, right?
Yes there is- not direct, the speedometer signal is used. Normally the PCM takes the vehicle speed signal and uses that to create the signal for the speedometer (I'm surmising, not 100% sure about this). However the PCM does have a wire coming out from the speedometer pin, and since the speedo does work, the Infinity must be making that signal. The body diagnostics manual says to check that input to the EEM and it should read 5V. It doesn't, it seems to be typically near 0V but moves around. I just used a DMM to check, I'll put a scope on it today to get a better understanding. However, since my speedo works, I assume that it is working correctly- that may be a bad assumption. I did check that the speedo connection to the EEM has continuity to the PCM connector. I'll also look at the Infinity programming to see how the speedo output is setup.

#5 ·
There's a speed sensor input, right?

#6 ·
I have the same problem - and it just started happening. I started the car, got out to do something and closed the door. Came back and I couldn't open the doors. The windows were open so I reached in and the inner door latches would not work either. I was able to reach the keys and hit the "unlock" button on the key fob and still the outside handles would not work. I finally got the inside latch to work. Turned the car off and the outside door latches worked fine. My door LED's also went out.

#8 ·
The speedo output is a square wave with frequency 0.85 Hz when the car is parked. 0-4V amplitude. That doesn't exactly match what the diagnostics manual says, it said it should be 5V DC. I'll try changing the programming of the Infinity to put out 4V DC when parked, then switch to the linear frequency curve.

#22 ·
I'm not following, are we agreeing?
I have no voltage with Key=off, and 12V with key=run or start. My issue was that it didn't work right with the key in the run or start position, so disconnecting that pin fixed it- cause now it never gets a voltage on that input.

#23 ·
The fix to the doors not opening when the engine is running may be a 'fail'. After several drive/park cycles, the instrument cluster and turn signal lights began flashing. Putting the D15 pin back in stopped it. I removed the D16 pin, which is Run/Acc instead of Run/Start, but I suspect it'll still start flashing after awhile. Shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.