·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI

These engine specs are WAY impressive!

Technical Specs: Engine
Standard Engine5.0L V10Standard Transmission 6 Speed
Automatic Cylinders10 Horsepower @ [email protected] Fuel Economy Cty/Hwy 17/23 Number of Valves 20 Torque @ RPM 553 @ 2000 Fuel Type System Diesel Engine / Electronic Fuel Injected Turbo Overdrive Transmission
Compression18.0 Displacement 4921/300 Bore X Stroke3.19x3.76
Final Drive Ratio 3.27 Valves Configuration Single Overhead Cam

553 foot-lbs of Torque at [size=+2]2000 RPM [/size] :shocked:

I got some time left on my SUV lease, but this looks like a monster of a mid-sized SUV!

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
That's the truck Kasey wants. I looked at them a while back and was very impressed.

The problem is the damn SUV market is driving prices through the roof.

I'll wait until there are some decent used ones floating around.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've got a buddy who is a Master Mechanic for VW and I had asked him about these things.

His feed back was if I was going to buy one used, to look for a late '04 model, 60,000 VIN range at least.

As for the engine, it runs as two completely separate I5s. It has two ECUs which share a few inputs but over all they run as two engines. :thumb:

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep reading very positive reports on the 6 and 8 cylinder models. NO reports on the 10 cyl! I'd like to read of a driving review.

It's 500 lbs. heavier then my ML5.0.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
So much $$ for a VW tho, I think Audi is coming out with one that will play more to the premium market. That TDi is impressive tho. The V-6 is a fucking DOG!

·
Landscaping Professional
14,340 Posts
That V-10 diesel engine powered a prototype at LeMans this past year. Caterpillar was responsible for the engine management development. My memory is fuzzy, but I think the car retired around mid-race.

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
So much $$ for a VW tho, I think Audi is coming out with one that will play more to the premium market. That TDi is impressive tho. The V-6 is a fucking DOG!

Everything I've read says the 6 cylinder is anemic, but the V-8 is great. Still: $50K for a VW? It just ain't the People's Car any more, eh?

·
The Burn Clinic
12,779 Posts
Brett bought one for his wife. It's F'ing fast! Something about a 700 mile cruising range and one of the best interiors out there, too.

I'd buy one if I was looking to run Paris-Dakar in style.

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
I'd wait until these start to hit the used market, hopefully they'll be reasonable - VW has it going on with interiors... Nice SUV. And - gotta love the torque!

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep..it's got the best towing capacity in its class. Also agree about the interior! It's top notch. The TDI also comes with air suspension, which is great in that you can lower the car for highway (hi speed) driving. Only, it's closer to 60K with all the options. I've got a year left on the ML. Maybe it it's a REAL good year ;) .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Citysnake, my wife has the V-10 monster. It is a great SUV. Gas mileage is decent considering the power it makes. Tows like a mofo. It has been in twice though for a dummy light. Interior is one of the best.
Only issue is space. Not as big as one would like. Put the stroller in the back and already space is tight.
Vw gave us a key for key program to trade in our Passat. Payments our obviously higher.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i ws trying to find one at the car show yesterday (Houston). I sat in the V8 version, I was really impressed. I would love to have one of these to tow some stuff around. My wife's Jeep can't tow shit.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I saw one at the Detroit show, and it was real tight inside. And 73k for a VW??? I dont see where they get off asking that much for that car. You still drivin' a VW; I'd ante up for the Cayenne at that point, at least you'd drive a 'Porsche'. :lol:

But aside from the price, there were some other things that bothered me on the VW as well. And it has a rediculously small sunroof, might as well not even be there. I think a 5 series has more room in the backseat as well. It just seems like a tight car all around, especially for the tag that comes with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
CitySnake said:
Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI

These engine specs are WAY impressive!

Technical Specs: Engine
Standard Engine5.0L V10Standard Transmission 6 Speed
Automatic Cylinders10 Horsepower @ [email protected] Fuel Economy Cty/Hwy 17/23 Number of Valves 20 Torque @ RPM 553 @ 2000 Fuel Type System Diesel Engine / Electronic Fuel Injected Turbo Overdrive Transmission
Compression18.0 Displacement 4921/300 Bore X Stroke3.19x3.76
Final Drive Ratio 3.27 Valves Configuration Single Overhead Cam

553 foot-lbs of Torque at [size=+2]2000 RPM [/size] :shocked:

I got some time left on my SUV lease, but this looks like a monster of a mid-sized SUV!
Too bad it is not allowed in CA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.