Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds pretty anal... but I am in the middle of changing my halfshafts and found my rear suspension pretty dirty. Between all the road tar, brake dust and grime the whole suspension has a thick black coating of crap over it. Normally no one would ever see this stuff cause it's inside the wheels but I just would like to clean it once in a blue moon.

What types of degreasers or cleaners would I go about using?

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
I clean my suspension. I use engine degreaser or brake parts cleaner. You do need to be careful wiht the brake parts cleaner since it will eat away at paint (even on the strut) and plastic.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
yep, brake cleaner is bad on paint esp on a hot day the overspray will damage. I also like castrol super clean. Hell even straight kerosene in a spray bottle will work (we use that when detailing engines, the use a hot water pressure washer to rinse) The hardest part is road tar. Once that hardens it is hard to get off. Oven cleaner works, but can also harm paint.

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
If you are in an enclosed area and can't use a pressure washer or really strong degreasers - try 2 things - 1) Simple Green Automotive - it's a super streength version of Simple Green in a spray bottle that works really well or 2) for even milder, use Dawn dishwashing detergent and a soapy rag -you can even apply it straight using a small brush. It's an amazingly effective grease cutter. Take the time to look for any signs of stress or cracking.

It's not anal cleaning your suspension- it's good practice if you drive the car hard and it's standard practice after every race weekend.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have used Simple Green as well and it does a good job on the suspension grime buildup and is safe for both you and the car.

--- Ken

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
dawn dishwashing soap and some elbow grease works wonders.

see...

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/attach/data/1/258412-ACR20.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
23,347 Posts
everytime mine is up on the lift I take a few rags,degreaser and elbow grease to clean it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Simple green as Janni said, spray it on, wait a minute or two and hose it off that simple!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I Agree with the easy Simple Green method, I have used it several times with great success.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts