Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just got the 75 page magazine hying the SRT in the mail this past weekend & just like the Viper magagine, I used it as fresh reading material while in the reading room "relaxing". While glossing through it, I saw something on page 55 that caught my attention. There's one computer generated picture illistrating the engine minus the intake manifold. In this picture, the two coil packs are place in the valley underneath the intake manifold. This strikes me as an extremely undesirable location for them. I'm not an engineer, but I would think that placing the coil packs in an area of such extreme heat would be an issue, plus when the time comes time to change the spark plug wires, the intake manifold would have to be removed!?!?!?!?!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm no fan of the way the car looks, and I'm not trying to rag on the car in this post, it's just something that stood out to me. Anyone else notice this? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't see any problem with that set up at all.The whole engine compartment is way hot anyway no mater where you mount the coil packs.But only an idiot engineer that had good school grades and has never had to change a light bulb would have done it that way.Probably gives the Viper tech's cold sweats thinking about someone needing a coil pack or wanting different wires.Then again,maybe its planned obsulance.Time to change the wires or coils.Hell no,Screw it,buy something newer. Bruce

·
Registered
257 Posts
I definitely agree as my first reaction was similar. I do know the previous position at the back was terrible for temperature as it was in a rather stagnant flow area. High speed misfires could be traced to the placement and that is why new plug wires helped in many situations. The higher the temp the lower the secondary voltage (more internal resistance).

I have been told the new location improves that situation considerably. Hope so. I know I do not want to change the wires given a manifold R&R to do so. If I detect a high speed misfire I would use the 7/70 protection to have THEM change it. It may perform better but the new inlet manifold seems less exotic. Of course 500 hp can change my mind.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts