Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it\'s better to go with 18\" rims or 19\" rims??

I was considering going with 19 Inch aftermarket rims..But after researching my tire options it would seem that 18" would be a wiser choice .

I've also been told that the 19 " rims will effect the center of gravity.

What has been your experience ?? Shoud I go 18 or 19 ?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Do you think it\'s better to go with 18\" rims or 19\" rims??

Hello again.

I went with 18s for 2 reasons.

1) Tire price avalability.
2) The profile isnt as low so you will have less damage porential on your rim from hitting holes. Plus most 18s are an exactly the same dimentionally so you will never have to worry about any fitment problems.

Good luck jeff

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

SapphireGTS said:
Hello again.

I went with 18s for 2 reasons.

1) Tire price avalability.
2) The profile isnt as low so you will have less damage porential on your rim from hitting holes. Plus most 18s are an exactly the same dimentionally so you will never have to worry about any fitment problems.

Good luck jeff
My thoughts as well ..Thanks for the feedback !

Jeff

·
Registered
582 Posts

The profile isnt as low so you will have less damage potential on your rim from hitting holes.
This actually isn't true as the sidewall on a 345/30/19 is actually slightly wider than a 335/30/18. Depending on what size tire you use on the front, it may also be slightly wider, or slightly narrower. In addition, the 1" larger wheel increases your ground clearance by 1/2", so you have slightly less chance of scraping the underside of your car with 19's.

If cost is not a big factor and you have stock or mildly modified hp, I'd go with 19's for the greater "bling" factor. If you think you may go for 550 rwhp or more via a blower, nitrous, stroker, etc., I'd stay with 18's simply because of the availability of BFG's drag radial for traction purposes. I have 19" HRE's and am seriously considering dropping back to 18's for that reason.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts

I have 19s and think that the LOOK is far better than 18's. Thing is when the roads are cold, I spin my tires in virtually everywhere at almost any decent speed. BFG makes drag radials in 18s but im hoping with all the new cars running 19's and the SRT around that HOPEFULLY 19" drag radials may be in the future...but in 335? or345? I dunno.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

Jeff, go with the 18's until the good sticky tires for 19's come out. With your Turbo, you're already going to be in Spin city no matter what you go with, but with the stickier tires for the 18's, it's a better option for 'racing.' If you want to cruise and go fast (really fast) and don't care about occasional tire spin, and you're looking at racing to be a challenge (feathering the throttle to get your win) then there is no choice -- the 19's are way better looking on the Viper and will attract more attention. I want to get some 19 inch HRE's for my black car, since I already have 19 Purners on my red one. The car ride DOES increase an inch, and I actaully had a bit more clearance on my car after putting the wheels on -- for me this was good, as my car was too low for driving around town anyway. I've got 3 rear sets of tires to go through on 18's, and then, whether or not tires are available or not, I'm going to sell my 18's and go for 19's for the look and will take it easy on mashing the pedal, until grippier tires come out in that size.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

I have 19" wheels and like them quite a bit. They are a bit harsher on pot holes due to the smaller sidewalls, but I've never damaged the rims. My car is lowered 1" and with the 19" wheels it looks BAD ASS! Even with 840+ rwhp, I don't see a big difference in traction, except with the drag radials.

When I go to the track, I put on Purner slicks and skinnies with Mickey Thompson ET Streets.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM ..I really didn't think the extra inch would really make that much of a difference in appearance , but after reading the reply's I may go with 19's now .

Thanks !

Jeff

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

Jeff, it makes a huge difference. after seeing a bunch of different vipers together, the 19 vs. 18 inch rim debate was settled. 19s rule /images/graemlins/dude

·
Registered
147 Posts

19's

chan

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

You are all little bitches with little wheels. Get some real bling and go for the 24s.

F off,
P Diddy

·
Registered
10,727 Posts

All you fuckers went 19's, after I had already sprung for my 18's...Don't think I didn't notice that!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts

I'm going 19's soon...just need to be lowered and will look sweet!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

how about 19 rear 18 front. Thats what I did I like the stagered look, I just wish Kumos made 19" tires

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Here's my front wheel (HRE 540 with Pirelli PZero). I usually have StopTech brakes on, but I swap them out with the stock ones when I take it to the track.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts

Does Pirelli still make the low profile tires for the Viper in 19's?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

AUSTIN said:
Does Pirelli still make the low profile tires for the Viper in 19's?
I don't think so. I checked around a little and couldn't find any.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts