Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I had my Vette I remember reading about the data recording devices hidden in most Chevys. I was curious to know if the Vipers have them as well.

I just read an article in the local paper that stated well over 1000 law enforcement agenies have ponied up the $$ to buy a device that can read these boxes, and they will be using the info to prosecute people. As the article stated, "it's like having a government agent riding around with you at all times"

When does the madness stop?? :pissed:

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
I know GenII's record overal top speed, odometer, but dunno what else...in the PCM...

Ask DV22...She can tell you from experience...Guess who has the top speed record on her parents Denali???

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somebody that has rebuilt a Viper should know the facts- c'mon guys, are we being watched or not :rant:

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
There is a lot of talk about black boxes in a lot of new cars, it is used for spedo rollback or checking speed at time of an accident. I don't know if vipers have them but im sure its not that far off, the mechanic will be able to tell everything.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Don't know about top speed, but the engine computer does record mileage. That is all it does. The "data recorder" portion of the computer only records data when a fault is set, i.e. only when the check engine light comes on. The only data you see then is what was occurring at the time the fault was set, such as MAP votage, throttle position, speed, etc (usually about 25 inputs). I have heard Chrysler technician instructors talk about the air bag modules retaining MPH and other various information relating to air bag deployment but we can not look at that information on the dealer level. So, in my opinion, the Viper computer is far from a "black box".

David

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I've heard that Chevy's have this capability.
It's been used in a couple of legal cases where they have sued the auto manufacturer and they have responded by saying "well when you crashed you where doing 40 and never touched the brakes, how come you say the brakes didn't work"... I'll see if i can dig up the article.

·
Registered
59 Posts
with obd-2 came the requirement to record fault codes, mileage, and vin.

Some cars record way beyond that. New m3 owners that blow up the motor on an over rev down shift are getting warranty claims rejected as the data shows exactly was happened.

Haven't seen such fancy stuff, other than vin, faults, mileage, etc. on Gen 2 Vipers when testing out the DRB-III and it should read about everything there.

Just wait until these nav systems get all fancy and make photo radar a thing of the past.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
They will be able to do that with through cell phone monitoring soon!

Or if you are here in SF, they can easily use the electronic bridge toll device as a advanced law enforcement tool.

·
Super Moderator
27,080 Posts
Yes part of the BCM/ECM has been able to record speed/mileage for some time. We had to be able to replace the dashboards on some of the dealerships vehicles. Those that had mileage had to be accurate. Part of the information is only available if you have the correct interface software. Stuff not sent out to dealerships or mechanics. We as repair stations used it to match what came out of the car back in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts