Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to go to make power out of Cream Puffs. My 01 ACR needs a little more power. I was thinking about the Paxton kit. But how much power will these pussy pistons take. I'm not looking to use NO2.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
too much emphasis put on the "creampuff pistons". they can handle a paxton kit

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
right, the lean issue is...an issue. plus, ive heard the DIY paxton kit has some cheap parts as some will chime in about so be careful with their kit.

the roe is THE bulletproof DIY kit and its power curve is excellent.

· Premium Member
20,183 Posts
Roe 5lb, roller rockers, good headers, 3" exhaust and if you can get away with it, no cats.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Remember I am only 25. I don't make MEGA bucks like the guys who goto the tuners. Yes, I'd love to have a tuner's twin turbo. But the reality is...I can't afford it. Are there any other kits I should look at besides the roe and paxton. I hear sooo much good stuff about roe's kit. I will consider it as well. How much power (with correct tuning) can these things handle. I don't want to drop $10,000-$15,000 into my viper engine then blow it up because the pistions couldn't handle it. I'm sure I'll limit myself to 5psi of boost. Just to be safe.

· Registered
581 Posts
Listen to what Ray is saying too--5 psi is not always safe. Make sure to check your a/f ratio, and if you have any audible pinging at all stay off the gas until you investigate it and resolve it. That won't guarantee you don't have a problem either, but it will lessen the risk. You have to accept some level of increased risk if you want the rewards.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
first decide what you can afford to spend, then start shopping in the price range you set, simple as that. remember to include halfshafts in the list!!

· Registered
49 Posts
Why doesnt anyone use Metanol/water injection to avoid detonation in the cars ? seems like a waste of money to put in forged pistons if you dont have to . The met/water kit could be set to start inject at say 4 psi and it would never detonate its like driving on racefuel all the time. In turbo applications met/water injection is very common to get lower EGT temps and to avoid knocking detonation. And its nothing new they used water/met injection during WW2 in the fighter planes.

· Registered
5,678 Posts
2die4 said:
Why doesnt anyone use Metanol/water injection to avoid detonation in the cars ? seems like a waste of money to put in forged pistons if you dont have to . The met/water kit could be set to start inject at say 4 psi and it would never detonate its like driving on racefuel all the time. In turbo applications met/water injection is very common to get lower EGT temps and to avoid knocking detonation. And its nothing new they used water/met injection during WW2 in the fighter planes.
I know DLM uses water injection on select blower cars. Seems to work well.

· Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm wanting to keep the price to $15,000. Granted, that's not much(for a viper anyway). I'm think tuning is the 2nd most important aspect of building up a car. The first is the nut who owns/works/drives the car. Bolting-on the parts is the easy part of modifying a car(but still a PITA)

Any feed back you all can give me on the AEM and VEC2 systems.

Thanks for letting me know about the HD shafts....I had no idea. Better know now then when I bust one and the viper is stuck for a year or two while I find time to buy and install new ones. What about the clutch...do I need to upgrade that too?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.