Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From ALLPAR -

Dodge Viper

Coming up: a coupe version with even better performance than the convertible...the Ford GT-40 (designed mostly by fired members of the Dodge Viper team!) is showing up in the rear view mirror, just behind the "super Corvette." Rumors abound on a V-10 version of the new Hemi engine, with many saying it would reach at least 600 horsepower (not unreasonable since it's at 400 hp in the 300C, add 100 hp for two extra cylinders, and 100 more for race-tuning tricks.) However, this seems increasingly unlikely as DCX runs out of cash and continually announces layoffs and plant sales. The V10 would be a single-car engine, and rather a large investment solely for bragging rights. The American muscle race will almost certainly go to the GT or Corvette, since just about the entire old Viper team is now working for Ford on the GT, and GM has gotten serious about dominating with a new premium version of the Corvette.

So, will it come to pass that the Viper will be no longer #1?

Will the Viper go the way of the Prowler?

Will DCX sell off the Chrysler part of Daimler-Chrysler? And who would be the new owners?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Ford is bringing out a revival of the GT40? News to me.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Mercedes killed Chrysler.

That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Newman said:
McGuireV10 said:

That's how I feel.

The Nazi's did it in. Rememeber they are "The Master Race" :rolleyes:
I have to agree with both of you on this one. If Damnler Bends kills off the Viper any more than the SRT-10 styling already has or kills it off altogether, then we'll be driving some very rare collector cars. Even the new Chrysler styling stinks in my opinion. Stinks real bad... :ugh:

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
you'll never see any of them gt40's with a cost of that and they're not maing that many of them anyways. even if they did those are gonna be trailer queens.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
McGuireV10 said:

Thing is, Mercedes has some badass shit now....E55, CL65, SL55, SL65, SLR...all gorgeous supercars.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
smokin,

True Dat, True Dat.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smokin said:
McGuireV10 said:

Thing is, Mercedes has some badass shit now....E55, CL65, SL55, SL65, SLR...all gorgeous supercars.
That's right - Mercedes is lookin out for Mercedes. But what about Cry-slur?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Smokin said:
McGuireV10 said:

They're making amazing power... that CL65 is pretty incredible, in particular... but while I think Benzes are great looking cars, they all look like variations on each other (except the SLR). Not much creativity. This isn't surprising owing to the market they're targeting, but unless you're a total Benz junkie, it's damned near impossible to tell them apart -- which is kind of sad. They just aren't head-turners.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Smokin said:
McGuireV10 said:

Yeah but if that's what the trade-off is. Enhancements to those lines instead of to the Viper. Then I say F$%* Mercedes! The SL55 is the only one I'd buy anyway.

I hate what "may" be happening! /images/graemlins/hot Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I thought everyone knew that in the name Daimler Chrysler, the Chrysler is silent. :rofl:

I've been telling people at work for months, I've been waiting for Daimler to spin off Chrysler.
For about a year now they've done absolutely no maintenence to the anything in the plant I'm in.
Nothing gets fixed unless it breaks to the point of stopping the line.
It's next to impossible to get even the tools to build the trucks (sockets, air guns, electric guns).
When you build 800 trucks a day the tools do wear out and break.
I've heard it's the same way in the other plants.

Even some of the management agrees with me that it's a possibility that it's coming.
They gutted their cash cow now it's time to send it to market. /images/graemlins/hot

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
Smokin said:
McGuireV10 said:

They're making amazing power... that CL65 is pretty incredible, in particular... but while I think Benzes are great looking cars, they all look like variations on each other (except the SLR). Not much creativity. This isn't surprising owing to the market they're targeting, but unless you're a total Benz junkie, it's damned near impossible to tell them apart -- which is kind of sad. They just aren't head-turners.
As he said. A benz isn't exactly "happening", it's just a nice sporty ride for middle aged men... It doesn't have the sex appeal of a exotic car like the viper or a pasta racer.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Agree with everything said here. I'm not ready to leave yet, but regardless of when it ends it has been a great ride.

·
Your Humble Servant
10,419 Posts
I was told by a dealership owner that getting a GT-40 is going to be VERY difficult. If that ends up being the situation, I really don't see it in the same class as the Viper.

·
Irredeemable
9,343 Posts
As he said. A benz isn't exactly "happening", it's just a nice sporty ride for middle aged men... It doesn't have the sex appeal of a exotic car like the viper or a pasta racer
Par,
SL55 has no sex appeal?? SLR has no sex appeal??
I am not middle aged and get the looks from lots of younger people in my E55 as I did my M5. Love the Viper, but it is not the only "sexy" or exotic car out there.

I hope DC does something better with the Viper soon...I fail to see the "sex appeal" in the SRT-10. You actually think the SRT-10 has more sex appeal than an SL55 or any SL?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
getbit said:
Par,
SL55 has no sex appeal?? SLR has no sex appeal??
I am not middle aged and get the looks from lots of younger people in my E55 as I did my M5. Love the Viper, but it is not the only "sexy" or exotic car out there.

I hope DC does something better with the Viper soon...I fail to see the "sex appeal" in the SRT-10. You actually think the SRT-10 has more sex appeal than an SL55 or any SL?
Whenever I see the benz's you guys are talking about, I usually just say to myself or whomever is with me "That's a badass car." But when I see a pre-2003 Viper, I STILL act like a kid in a candy store, fumbling around asking if anybody has a camera near them, pulling U-turns to try and catch up with the car to get as close to it as possible, telling myself over and over "DAMN that car is BADASS," and just never really getting over the fact that those Vipers are just the sweetest looking vehicles on the road!!!

GAWD I want a Viper!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts