Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im assuming the pcm and the oddometer get the signal from the same wire. im guessing from the speed sensor on the transmission?

where else would it read the speed of the car besides the trany?

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you disconnect the odometer -- and the engine speed/throttle angle exceeds a certain preset, you'll get an error flag in the PCM which will need to be reset. Under some limited circumstances one can remove the transmission speed sensor (which sends out pulses to the PCM so that the PCM can send signals to your speedometer, track your miles and such). This is typically done when running-in a new rear end or checking the driveshaft/half shafts when the car is up on a lift. In these cases, the engine may be run up to a few thousand RPM and cycled through all six gears. But, if you run the car on the road with the transmission speed sensor disconnected you'll get an error flag in the PCM as it will sense higher throttle angles and RPM.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
mortgageguy said:
how would you dissconect the odemeter on a 1999 viper.
What your talking about is, shall we say illegal...ummmmkaaaayyyy. Federal offense. Can I keep your 1999 Viper in my garage while you're in prison? /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Funny you should bring this up though. When I was first looking for a Viper I located one about 20 miles from me. I also found and old ad on the internet with the exact same city and phone number listed. The old ad listed the car with like 10,000 miles or something like that (I don't remember exactly), but then the new listed a few months later showed the car with another 15,000 miles or so. Anyways, I confront the guy about this when I go to look at the car and he flat out denies that he listed this car a few months earlier. But he tells me he disconnected the odometer for some time because he hated seeing the miles roll up on it. :rolleyes: So he told me what the real mileage was and said I could take it to a dealer to verify by reading the PCM. My guess is he tried to pass the car off as having lower miles than it did to get a better price a few months before but when he realized the PCM stores the exact mileage he had a change of heart and didn't want to end up in the state pen. But he is a member of this board and the morgue. I won't say who it is and I would never try to get the guy in trouble or anything but be careful out there. In the end he told the truth about the mileage but I passed on the car.

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Holy bajeezus, this guy needs to be banned.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Craig201MPH said:
people who do thise are pieces of shit
I think Craig said it best, so i will add nothing...

Anthony

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
His screen name is mortgageguy and you guys are suprised by this? He's already admitted he screws people over for a living. Everybody's a friggen mortgage broker right now. Damn little kids on the sidewalk selling lemonaide and 5 year arm mortgages.

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
It can be done at the PCM. Find the wire, and disconnect. Simple as that. It does not set a code as speculated above. Or if you have a speedo recalibration box, it can be done there as well.

Oh, and for u fuckers that ASSume that because I know how to do this I must have false miles - FUCK YOU, I am about to turn past 60k. Just because I know how to fuck your wife, doesn't mean I did.

Regards,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.