Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just wanted everyone’s opinion on diff fluid and Trans fluid. I read a lot of different posts on fluids. one of our well known members here was kind enough to share with me what I needed as far as fluids go on the phone this afternoon. Thank you!

He’s highly passionate about these cars and a wealth of information that I much appreciated His wisdom! After we hung up I started researching the fluids and parts numbers and some are old part numbers superceded to new part numbers and found out that they “could” possibly be a completely different product now……something I would not want to put in my car and mess it up.

For the trans, he recommended for my 97 Viper I use Valvoline Dexron 3. Thats the easy one….. I can find that anywhere.

For the rear diff, he recommended to stay with the MOPAR rear diff fluid only! 75W140 with a bottle of the friction modifier. He is where (after we talked) I got confused. The old part number (don’t think it’s avail anymore?) for it crosses to something entirely new (new number for later Gen 5 cars?) now and from my search, some guys were saying online don’t use it….if you can’t find the old part number, what can you use?

So I looked up an aftermarket fluid, Valvoline synthetic 75W140 and it has the same MS8985 rating as the old MOPAR diff fluid. Can this be used?

Id call him back but did not want to bother him…..I’m sure he’d be happy to help though👍

what do you guys think?

·
Sexist
44,236 Posts
I'm interested in what you find out about the diff. I use factory recommendations but after 22 years and 205,000 miles finding the right fluids can get confusing. For the record, I switched to orange coolant a few years ago without trouble.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
For the trans, definitely use the Dex 3. The friction discs in the diffs have changed a lot over the years and I've heard a lot of people have varying success with different oils. One thing I've leaned in my long Viper ownership, engine oil can go a long time between changes, even with very hard duty. Trans and diff fluids are worked very hard and should be serviced regularly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the Valvoline diff oil mentioned in my first post is a Valvoline 75w140 SynPower synthetic gear oil, part number VV982. It carries the chrysler spec ms8985. I don’t read about a lot of guys using it, mostly guys seem to run the factory fluids…….mentioned below……

The diff oil is Mopar 4874469, new number 68218657AB. That’s what I was going to order unless someone says it’s not right….

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as the Motul transmission fluid goes, it does say Dexron III on the bottle, when you open the spec sheet, it does not have the chrysler spec ms9070(?) I think it was? Not sure if that matters? But also, the spec sheet says for use in Dexron and Mercon applications. I just assumed this was a DEX/Merc type of fluid that I was told/read was a No no…… that’s why this is so confusing. What’s a safe trans fluid for my 97 GTS? …sigh…..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up going with the MOPAR Diff fluid and using the modifier, for the trans I went with MOPAR brand ATF+4 per a few guys recommendations that have been running it without issues. It’s on order, waiting for it to arrive. Thanks guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts