Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my year 2001 acr is only putting down 452 rwhp and 495 rwtq with belanger headers, random tech cats and corsa cat back. these are the only mods my car has. i have the stock shifter and stock 3.07 rear gears and the original tires still on the car. i decided to take my snake out to my high speed testing grounds and see what she would run 1 mile in from a dead stop. i have hit a top speed of 182 mph out on the freeway but i never timed how long it took or how much ground i had covered. so today with gps and stop watch mounted in car i decided to find out what she would do. the road i tested on today resides at a elevation of 3,300 feet above sea level and is perfectly straight and flat. the air temp was 72 degrees and there was a hell of a cross wind blowin on me. i verified that my speedo is accurate with gps and so i marked off a course 1 mile long and proceeded to make a couple runs. i made 4 runs and all of them had the same result.

0-165 mph in 32 seconds flat.

i will be doing some engine mods next year to get me to 525 rwhp. i will also be installing a 200 hp wet nitrous kit. i will spray 4th and 5th gear only and i think i can hit 185 mph in 1 mile from a dead stop with that setup. i may install 3.31 gears too, but this would limit my top speed in 5th gear to 189 mph at 6,000 rpm's. i think with the gears i could max the car out in 5th gear in 1 mile and hit 189 mph; especially if i was to take my car to a lower elevation. but seeing how the 1 mile race that takes place in nevada once a year is at like 4,500 feet above sea level i might only hit 185 mph. i believe the 1 mile track in texas is around 3,300 feet above sea level. i plan on entering the silver state classic 100 mile road race next year and entering their 1 mile top speed shootout the day prior. the pic below is of my viper

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you know the funny thing is chads car can hit 168 mph in 8.75 seconds and do it in all of a 1/4 mile. wish i had that kind of power. but if i did, you wouldn't find me on a dragstrip or even a 1 mile top speed shootout course. i would take that bad boy to bonneville and go after svs turbos record of 246 mph :angel:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Freddy, that speed sounds about right for your power level and the elevation.

I like to see others interested in doing balls out speed runs with what they've got.

Consider this: Turbo cars lose very little compared to the NA cars at higher elevations as they just spin a little faster to pump the same amount of air. The air is heated a little more due to the higher impeller speeds, but nowhere the same loss as the NA or blower cars. :thumb:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paolo - i was getting a very crappy launch off this unprepped road surface and as a result smoked the tires all the way thru 1st gear. i suspect that cost me at least 1 second on my 1 mile time. so with stickier tires and better pavement i am guessing i would have made this trip in 30-31 seconds flat. i found an old motor trend article where they tested one of john hennesseys venom 800 twin turbo cars that was puttin down 725 rwhp. with the stock 3.07 rear gear this car ran the mile in 28.23 seconds at 193.54 mph. so i think that it is entirely possible that if i do the mods i listed in my original post that i can hit 189 mph in the mile if make a run at sea level. i am guessin at goliad, texas or nevadas 1 mile site that i would slow down to like 185 mph. the advantage that nitrous has over superchargers and turbochargers is that regardless of the air density that your motor sees from the altitude at which you run at > your motor will always see a very dense air charge off the nitrous. kind of like bringing sea level air to a track elevation of 4,500 feet above sea level.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
plumcrazy said:
i heard S/C cars lose a lot but never heard THAT about the TT cars.

Plumcrazy, when I did the Sand Hills Nebraska standing mile, I was only runnung 9 or so PSI with the supercharger that was usually running about 11 PSI with the air filters in at home. The altitude killed 2 PSI with the same blower speed/pulley. That was what I liked about the turbo Viper that beat me and won the event that year. Those guys could run the same boost as at sea level with only a minimal decrease in the marginal efficiency of the turbo at the higher altitude.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Fast Freddy said:
paolo - i was getting a very crappy launch off this unprepped road surface and as a result smoked the tires all the way thru 1st gear. i suspect that cost me at least 1 second on my 1 mile time. so with stickier tires and better pavement i am guessing i would have made this trip in 30-31 seconds flat. i found an old motor trend article where they tested one of john hennesseys venom 800 twin turbo cars that was puttin down 725 rwhp. with the stock 3.07 rear gear this car ran the mile in 28.23 seconds at 193.54 mph. so i think that it is entirely possible that if i do the mods i listed in my original post that i can hit 189 mph in the mile if make a run at sea level. i am guessin at goliad, texas or nevadas 1 mile site that i would slow down to like 185 mph. the advantage that nitrous has over superchargers and turbochargers is that regardless of the air density that your motor sees from the altitude at which you run at > your motor will always see a very dense air charge off the nitrous. kind of like bringing sea level air to a track elevation of 4,500 feet above sea level.
Freddy, the way those events are run is just the MPH at the end. So spinning will yield a higher MPH.

If you want to do the ET for your personal satisfaction, that's cool too.

*Just remember that John Hennessey always pays the magazines a little extra to exaggerate how quick/fast his cars really are!*

==> John, just breaking your balls big guy! :rofl: :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Be carefull spraying for more than 12-15 seconds with a 200 shot in those higher gears. That much spray for and extended amount of time has a high potential of doing major engine damage.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
IB"heyy'all watchthis"

And Freddy, the 0-165 you posted is really only 2-3 mph than an absolute stock 97 GTS. Maybe some driving lessons are in order.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DynoDaddy said:
Be carefull spraying for more than 12-15 seconds with a 200 shot in those higher gears. That much spray for and extended amount of time has a high potential of doing major engine damage.

i know what you are talking about because i geared up my honda CBR-929 and sprayed 6th gear with a 40 shot of nytrous and melted the spark plug and blew a hole in the #1 piston. see pic below of the bike that is in the shop getting a engine rebuild. the nitrous kit i use on that bike is a NOS dry kit. a wet kit would be better. i was using the stock plugs and 2 degrees of timing retard and 100 octane unleaded race gas. the stock pistons were forged. i am now putting in a set of JE forged pistons and am gonna run a colder and different type of plug. iam also gonna retard the timing 4 degrees and run 110 octane leaded race gas. this bike is getting stretched and slammed so i am no longer gonna be doin top speed nitrous blasts with it anymore because its just gonna be a 1/4 horse now. i had put like 15 bottles of nitrous thru it on the dragstrip before i decided to see what she would do for top speed. i had the gearing to go 185 mph on GPS when the engine let go at 175 mph. it was on my 2nd attempt when this happened. i could feel and hear #1 cylinder pop like a balloon when she blew. i slowed down to 150 mph and got out of my tuck and looked back and saw a giant cloud of blue smoke pourin out the exhaust pipe. since i had the muffler removed this was very close to my rear tire and it is a wonder i didn't wipe out because a significant amount of oil was on my rear rim when i came to a stop :grim:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.