Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about detailing my Viper and other fine cars over the winter and maybe the spring. Would an orbital buffer leave swirl marks? Are there any techniques to using one so it wouldn't leave swirl marks? Or should I just do it by hand? And lastly, but not leastly, is there a better buffer that wouldn't leave swirl marks?

Thanks in advance. /images/graemlins/dude

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
i use porter cable battery operated and it does just fine, safe and easy to use. I use all mothers products with the quick detailer by pinnacle a la SnakeBittens advice (the king of posing). tire use meguiars. windows and plastic use zaino.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Kenny,

Gerald (Snakebitten) will give you the supreme details...but I'd recommend the porter cable random orbital polisher. Get the quick change disk with it (velcro's pads on and off). I've been using Griot's merchandise. They sell a complete package of everything you need (including the polisher but you can get it much cheaper elsewhare). Their pads and polish is all quality stuff. With the random orbital you can't do any danage. Knock yourself out!

Here's the package with and w/o the polisher.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been following threads about this and the Porter Cable 7424 comes up the most. I just haven't had the motivation to buy one yet. My Chebby Avalanche will be the practice piece.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I dont use Buffers, I tend to do most waxing by hand. But I ONLY use Mothers products, They are just better. One thing I do know; if it is the first time you are waxing the car after a while (i.e. first waxjob of spring0 I use a claybar, you would not believe the amount of crap it gets off that toherwise would have been moved around....Just my .02

·
Registered
427 Posts
I also followed snakebitten's advice. Check out Pinnacle's line of polishes
and waxes......IMHO it blows Zaino and the others away. A bit pricey, but
much faster, easier, and the results are killer.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Porter Cable model #7424 orbital buffer is $113.95 online at Northwest power tools. Prices vary alot on this tool it pays to shop around.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
I use the Makita model#9227C. I have a black Ram and have had good luck with keeping the swirls out of it. It's a great product also.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I would use an orbital buffer without hesitation. They do not burn and will not swirl if you use the right products. I am sure the orbital buffers are all basically the same but I use a Sears 13" model that has lasted for years. I put swirl remover #9 by Mguires and straight butter wax on the bonnet together. One application and then use one bonnet to remove most of the wax then another for final shine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts