Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't driven the viper in about a week and this AM found my XM on and my battery dead. jump started it and the car wont idle....figured I might as well drive the thing to work doing the two foot shuffle and maybe the computer will reset itself...it is now idling but not really good...

any ideas?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Don't drive it to work...Leave it on the charger all day or replace the battery...Is the stocker battery still in it???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you charge the battery fully? If the voltage is low the computer will not function properly. Also charging a dead battery using the car alternator is not recommended. The alternator is just for maintaining a fully charged battery. Try fully charging the battery with a battery charger after disconnecting the battery. 2-5 amps over night will do it. Re-connect the battery and start the car to let the computer re-learn. Drive it normal for 50-100 miles will help it learn/adjust.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Mopar computers are real sensitive to voltage drop. Jeeps and mini vans do the same thing. Like Gerald said-charge it all day (slowly!) then drive it a while and if the battery is good you should be ok, If your battery was old to begin with, by letting it drain all the way it may have to now be replaced.

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only thing on the car as far as maintenance I have NOT changed or looked at.

too late, im here at the office now....gonna have to do it tonite.

actually we have a charger here and im gonna throw it on for the day....see what happens.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Happens all the time to me. If I don't keep mine on a trickle, it will act up the in a couple days. There has got to be a draw someplace on mine. I used to leave it all winter and only start it a couple times. Put new battery in last year and it won't start after a week of sitting.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,147 Posts
The radio memory and clock saps power, along with the alarm. I think there's a fuse you can pull to minimize drain over long periods of inactivity.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Plum:

Forgot what year is your Viper, but when my factory one went dear (after 2.5 years!) Chuck warrantied a new one. /images/graemlins/wink You might want to give him a call.

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
pauls said:
Happens all the time to me. If I don't keep mine on a trickle, it will act up the in a couple days. There has got to be a draw someplace on mine. I used to leave it all winter and only start it a couple times. Put new battery in last year and it won't start after a week of sitting.

Just means you need to DRIVE IT MORE!! :thumb:

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
city...the new one is in already....it fixed the problem.....It was the original battery too....thanx for the idea though.

in july (11 months ago)I bought my 98 GTS with 9000 miles and now have 24K on it....so it aint from NOT driving it.....lol

thanx for all the input.

·
Registered
791 Posts
GTS Dean said:
The radio memory and clock saps power, along with the alarm. I think there's a fuse you can pull to minimize drain over long periods of inactivity.
Dean is exactly right...:thumb:..it's called the IOD fuse...look under the cover of the fuse box and see where it says IOD...pull that fuse and things that are not required to work such as alarm and radio and such goes dead..try that and see what happens...the car will still run...jus some stuff won't work....Len

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
just remember when you pull that fuse you lose the "memory" in your computer and your car may run like crap when you first run it again until the computer "re-learns" the settings.

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
car isnt running great as of last nite......ran ok but the temp gauge was running high......im gonna take it out tonite for a few hours and see what happens. im guessing it has to go thru the learning and then it will be ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts