Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dave\'s (2BADD 4U) flawless Final Edition (pics)

Posting these up for 2BADD 4U...What a shine!!! :thumb:

[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper428.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper446.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper464.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper460.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper029.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper399.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper034.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/215043/Viper455.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Re: Dave\'s (2BADD 4U) flawless Final Edition (pics)

The Canada edition is one of my faves /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts

another car a la SB detailing eh??

looks great

·
Registered
264 Posts

Gerald, Thanks for posting! "Yes" another shine by the master of detailing...Snake Bitten ....This guy KNOWS what he is talking about!!!

Hey guys, I "never" used a pc random oribital before in my life...I am 47 years young and have had tons of muscle cars. After talking with Gerald...(and him telling me that he has NOT washed his Viper or Rims in 2-3 years...YES that got my attention) He gave me the knowledge and confidence to use the pc and 3m products on my new Viper GTS FE #338. The Viper came from the factory with lots of nasty swirls.....So I bought all the necessary equipt....(Thanks G) And went at it.

No practice on any other cars in my house...right on to the GTS...After following G's rules...and 40+ hrs. later...the shine is incredible!!! If you want a perfect finish, you gotta buff those imperfections out. Heat and Abrasive. Yes I am a student of Gerald...aka...Snake Bitten

Thanks, Bro! I owe you one!!!

Best, Dave :clap:

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

2BADD 4U said:
Gerald, Thanks for posting! "Yes" another shine by the master of detailing...Snake Bitten ....This guy KNOWS what he is talking about!!!

Hey guys, I "never" used a pc random oribital before in my life...I am 47 years young and have had tons of muscle cars. After talking with Gerald...(and him telling me that he has NOT washed his Viper or Rims in 2-3 years...YES that got my attention) He gave me the knowledge and confidence to use the pc and 3m products on my new Viper GTS FE #338. The Viper came from the factory with lots of nasty swirls.....So I bought all the necessary equipt....(Thanks G) And went at it.

No practice on any other cars in my house...right on to the GTS...After following G's rules...and 40+ hrs. later...the shine is incredible!!! If you want a perfect finish, you gotta buff those imperfections out. Heat and Abrasive. Yes I am a student of Gerald...aka...Snake Bitten

Thanks, Bro!

Best, Dave :clap:

you are not kidding! i did the process this weekend, and i am going to post pics in a while.

your car looks great, congrats on getting the swirls out!!

·
Registered
15 Posts

Looks awesome! Did you wet sand it first? Or just go straight to the polish?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts

This is going to be my next project. My black beauty needs some TLC to make up for all those track miles.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

David or Gerald

give me a list of what was done, that looks great.
step 1
step 2
step 3
etc.
keep in mind I am from Texas

Rohn

·
Registered
264 Posts

Greenbird said:
Looks awesome! Did you wet sand it first? Or just go straight to the polish?

Greenbird...no wet sanding...polish ..after using the 3m compounds..

Dave

·
Registered
264 Posts

Firewater said:
How long did it take to wax that thing?? Looks awesome!!
I have 3 coats of polish on it (and spray detailing wax)and finishing pad buffing 3K rpms)...Took maybe 6-8 hrs for all coats..

I enjoy doing it !
/images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
Dave

·
Registered
264 Posts

jkracer said:
David or Gerald

step 1
step 2
step 3
etc.

Rohn

Ok Guys here ya go!

1. Wash car with dawn dish det. Then use Claybar for best results!!!
2. Dry car with Micro-fiber towels.
3. Use Porter Cable Random Oribital Buffer with 6 inch pads.
4. Mask off the 2 black cowl air intakes on the hood and mask off the area below the windshield wipers to avoid dust into engine area.
5. Start with 3M #05996 Perfect it foam pad polish glaze...for dark colored cars. Napa Auto
7. Also get 3M 39002 Perfect it fine cut rubbing compound. For more severe swirls. Napa Auto
8. Get yellow, black and white 6 inch foam pads from...www.topoftheline.com
9. Start with 6000 rpms and a black pad and 1/2 pad pressure, with a quarter size amount of the 05996..wipe off haze with micro-fiber towels.
10. Use 39002 for bad swirls and or scratches that the 05996 cannot remove.
11. After buffing swirls out...take car outside in bright sun...for the final inspection. Look car over well. Do NOT buff outside with 3M..buff inside.
12. You cannot burn the paint or clearcoat, Stay away from sharp edges and corners with the PC. Go gentle on those areas.

Always 1/2 pad pressure and slow to medium left to right motion.

If you create any haze after using the 3M fine cut...simply apply more 39002 compound and go left and right ...BUT go faster side to side.

Yellow Pads...6K rpms... slow side motion left to right...NO CIRCLE MOTIONS with the pc....faster motion gets Haze out.

Black Pads...6K rpms...faster motion....glaze compound. 05996

White Pads...3K rpms...no pressure you are buffing out the wax or polish.

When using the black pads or yellow pads, ALWAYS use 1/2 pad pressure...if the pad is 2 inches thick...press against Viper to 1 inch.

After you are 100% sure you got ALL the swirls out..after inspecting in Bright Sun....You are ready for the Polish/Wax application...

Add your polish/wax and when dry...wipe off with micro fiber towels...then use the white pad at 3K rpms with no pressure and buff your shine!

Then use zaino z-6 and or pinnacle spray detailing wax..both work GREAT and smell even better!!!

And wipe gently and buff with micro-fiber towels...

Then buff again with pc at 3K rpms..you are done!!! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

Tips...Take the time to do it right and don't skimp...or hurry...

If you are afraid to use the pc on the Viper..practice on another vehicle...

Wait a day between coats and use the same application on your rims..

Use California Dusters on car and rims...1 for the car and 1 only for the rims. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

Best, Dave

ps...you can thank Gerald...aka Snake Bitten for all this info! He is da MAN!!!!!!! :nod: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts

2BADD 4U said:
jkracer said:
David or Gerald

step 1
step 2
step 3
etc.

Rohn

Ok Guys here ya go!

1. Wash car with dawn dish det. Then use Claybar for best results!!!
2. Dry car with Micro-fiber towels.
3. Use Porter Cable Random Oribital Buffer with 6 inch pads.
4. Mask off the 2 black cowl air intakes on the hood and mask off the area below the windshield wipers to avoid dust into engine area.
5. Start with 3M #05996 Perfect it foam pad polish glaze...for dark colored cars. Napa Auto
7. Also get 3M 39002 Perfect it fine cut rubbing compound. For more severe swirls. Napa Auto
8. Get yellow, black and white 6 inch foam pads from...www.topoftheline.com
9. Start with 6000 rpms and a black pad and 1/2 pad pressure, with a quarter size amount of the 05996..wipe off haze with micro-fiber towels.
10. Use 39002 for bad swirls and or scratches that the 05996 cannot remove.
11. After buffing swirls out...take car outside in bright sun...for the final inspection. Look car over well. Do NOT buff outside with 3M..buff inside.
12. You cannot burn the paint or clearcoat, Stay away from sharp edges and corners with the PC. Go gentle on those areas.

Always 1/2 pad pressure and slow to medium left to right motion.

If you create any haze after using the 3M fine cut...simply apply more 39002 compound and go left and right ...BUT go faster side to side.

Yellow Pads...6K rpms... slow side motion left to right...NO CIRCLE MOTIONS with the pc....faster motion gets Haze out.

Black Pads...6K rpms...faster motion....glaze compound. 05996

White Pads...3K rpms...no pressure you are buffing out the wax or polish.

When using the black pads or yellow pads, ALWAYS use 1/2 pad pressure...if the pad is 2 inches thick...press against Viper to 1 inch.

After you are 100% sure you got ALL the swirls out..after inspecting in Bright Sun....You are ready for the Polish/Wax application...

Add your polish/wax and when dry...wipe off with micro fiber towels...then use the white pad at 3K rpms with no pressure and buff your shine!

Then use zaino z-6 and or pinnacle spray detailing wax..both work GREAT and smell even better!!!

And wipe gently and buff with micro-fiber towels...

Then buff again with pc at 3K rpms..you are done!!! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

Tips...Take the time to do it right and don't skimp...or hurry...

If you are afraid to use the pc on the Viper..practice on another vehicle...

Wait a day between coats and use the same application on your rims..

Use California Dusters on car and rims...1 for the car and 1 only for the rims. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

Best, Dave

ps...you can thank Gerald...aka Snake Bitten for all this info! He is da MAN!!!!!!! :nod: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Dave
Thanks for the details, now do you and SB want a paid vacation in Houston. Only catch is the Viper, it has to look as tight as yours once finished. It is hard to believe that you brought your FE to a better than when new shine.

"Watch out for the blinding light its only Dave and his Viper"
Thanks again
Rohn

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Rohn...I will be in Houston most of the month of September...I can hook you up then...no charge...well, maybe some tequilla...Probably would have to be after the Nats and VOI...

·
Registered
264 Posts

Rohn, I am thinking about flying down for VOI...we will all hook up and have a great time...I am positive that when Gerald gets his hands on your FE GTS...it will look better than my FE!!! Yes, my finish is 100 times MUCH better than from the factory delivery. I have really enjoyed the process and it is now my little hobby....thanks to Gerald...I have now become a fanatic about the car...But that is a GREAT thing..I love the FE and the Viper is the coolest car on the planet!!! Rohn, I have only one fear when I am in Houston....That after John Hennessey takes me for a TT ride that he promised...I will be MISSING my Fe for 6 months... /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif G likes tequilla...hmmm..... I like labatts...molson and Southern comfort....keep in touch

Dave :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.