Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to tear into this thing this week so as to get it ready for sept 18 vette/viper challenge.

how long to repair a ring?

if the piston needs replaced is it best to replace ALL pistons??

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If only 1 piston is bad, then you can get away with repairing that piston. if many are bad or if you can't tell, then you might want to do them all. I'm not sure if you have stock pistons or not... if so, then a replacement piston will be easy to find. if not, then you might need a full set and what the heck... you could do that stroker you've been wanting.

i've seen people rebuild these motors in a weekend. But that assumes no block damage. if it is just a piston, piece of cake.

JD

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mojo -

Providing it's just one cylinder and no evidence of severe damage you can easily cleanup that cylinder and replace the rings to get you through to the next round. May not be "text book" but effective for your intentions. Inspect the piston and look for hairline cracks in the skirt. If you find the rings are stuck in the lands, the piston should be considered insufficient and I would suspect others may be like that too.

While the pan's off and your underneath, make certain there are no broken/cracked piston skirts.

Good luck and be safe racing! :thumb:
Doug

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gentlemen, thnx for the input and advice. looks like i got some work to do in order to be ready for the vette/viper challenge next weekend

·
Registered
109 Posts
Rich,
I left you a message on your phone...you are more than welcome to use the motor out of my car for this race...it is not like I am going anywhere soon. It is set up for the bottle and is very consistent (10.50's to 10.60's) on a 200 shot. Let me know.
Later,
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.