Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, so I hope it is welcomed. I am considering a new Viper instead of the new 06 Z06. I am a current z06 owner, and also a Dodge dealer, so I can order a new srt coupe at invoice. Does anyone have any comments on the Viper vs the z06. I have not yet driven a Viper, so some insight might help.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Nobody can really give much advice except based on the current stats of each car. On paper it looks like the Z is going to be the faster car for less $$$ and will have a better and cheaper aftermarket.

If Dodge does another cert program you won't be ordering any SRT's for yourself!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tony, that Craig hates Vipers. So if you were looking for the Corvette response on the Viper board he is the first one to chime in. There are a lot of threads regarding this comparison of two cars that don't exist yet.

I think that you, like most Z06 owners (myself included), easily get bored with the car as you see 35,000 similar looking cars produced each year. There is no arguement as to the Vipers legacy and street credibility. The Viper will be more expensive, both cars will be close in performace. I sold my Z06 in lieu of the Viper because I wanted to feel good about spending this much money on a car.

Good Luck!

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Tony,

I was going to reply to your post last night, but I was tired and figured I'd get to it in the morning. This is how it's going to go down with the SRT Coupe and the Z06: the Z will be faster in the 0-60 race then the Viper because of the light-weight, shorter gearing, and higher rev-limit. It will also be a pretty damn good track car, like the Viper already is. We know GM is gunning for the Viper and I'm sure once the test results come in from the magazines, the numbers on the Z will be awesome. Enter the SRT Coupe: there are rumors floating around that the Coupe will be introduced with 600 hp at the crank; if true, PVO played their cards right as far as the SRT vs. Z06 program is concerned. If untrue, the Viper will still be a much different driving experience then the Z will and that will boil down to the characteristic which is most often overlooked by bench-racers: torque. The SRT produces its 500 ft/lb's at damn near idle and maintains this curve throughout the rev-band. This makes the car feel and respond much differently than anything with less tq more hp; ala 'Z'. The Vette will probably be more comfortable, have more gadgetry, and will be more civilized. The Viper is a much more raw driving experience, will have much more 'curb-appeal', and will still have the exclusivity going for it.

Looks are entirely subjective; I think the new Z looks great, but side-by-side, I'd still take an SRT coupe. Another thing to think about is the reliability and longevity of the new Z motor - GM has never made available this large of a displacement motor at the factory level. Combine this with the high-revs and the brand new dry-sump system and there may be cause for concern with the first year of the production run. Not to say the SRT didn't have problems, but the basic architecture and execution of the Viper motor has remained consistent for 14 years now and I think that says something about it's hardiness.

Also, think about how you will be using the car - are you a polisher or a driver? Will you be carting the car to the track or will you cruise on the streets? If you're a track-rat or would like to be one, there is a specific racing series for the Viper called ViperDays and is one of the most comprehensive and kickass things you can do as an owner/driver without breaking the law. Also, the Viper community is tightly knit and has a ton of support and if you take your Viper to a large, reputable dealership, you will have your car serviced by a certified Viper technician instead of some GM Goodwrench Service Plus dude.

On a side note, this is pure speculation on my part - no one has driven either car or flogged one for an extended period on the track. On paper, it looks as though GM has finally caught up to the Viper in terms of performance and track-readiness. As with any car, the first run of cars built are bound to have teething problems, but IMO and since I'm a Viper guy, I'd stick with proven performance, the history, and the legacy of the Viper over the new Z, but I think both cars are going to be exceptional and ground-breaking in terms of at-the-limit transitioning, braking, and acceleration.

Good luck on your purchase!

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Clint Sever said:
Tony,

I was going to reply to your post last night, but I was tired and figured I'd get to it in the morning. This is how it's going to go down with the SRT Coupe and the Z06: the Z will be faster in the 0-60 race then the Viper because of the light-weight, shorter gearing, and higher rev-limit. It will also be a pretty damn good track car, like the Viper already is. We know GM is gunning for the Viper and I'm sure once the test results come in from the magazines, the numbers on the Z will be awesome. Enter the SRT Coupe: there are rumors floating around that the Coupe will be introduced with 600 hp at the crank; if true, PVO played their cards right as far as the SRT vs. Z06 program is concerned. If untrue, the Viper will still be a much different driving experience then the Z will and that will boil down to the characteristic which is most often overlooked by bench-racers: torque. The SRT produces its 500 ft/lb's at damn near idle and maintains this curve throughout the rev-band. This makes the car feel and respond much differently than anything with less tq more hp; ala 'Z'. The Vette will probably be more comfortable, have more gadgetry, and will be more civilized. The Viper is a much more raw driving experience, will have much more 'curb-appeal', and will still have the exclusivity going for it.

Looks are entirely subjective; I think the new Z looks great, but side-by-side, I'd still take an SRT coupe. Another thing to think about is the reliability and longevity of the new Z motor - GM has never made available this large of a displacement motor at the factory level. Combine this with the high-revs and the brand new dry-sump system and there may be cause for concern with the first year of the production run. Not to say the SRT didn't have problems, but the basic architecture and execution of the Viper motor has remained consistent for 14 years now and I think that says something about it's hardiness.

Also, think about how you will be using the car - are you a polisher or a driver? Will you be carting the car to the track or will you cruise on the streets? If you're a track-rat or would like to be one, there is a specific racing series for the Viper called ViperDays and is one of the most comprehensive and kickass things you can do as an owner/driver without breaking the law. Also, the Viper community is tightly knit and has a ton of support and if you take your Viper to a large, reputable dealership, you will have your car serviced by a certified Viper technician instead of some GM Goodwrench Service Plus dude.

On a side note, this is pure speculation on my part - no one has driven either car or flogged one for an extended period on the track. On paper, it looks as though GM has finally caught up to the Viper in terms of performance and track-readiness. As with any car, the first run of cars built are bound to have teething problems, but IMO and since I'm a Viper guy, I'd stick with proven performance, the history, and the legacy of the Viper over the new Z, but I think both cars are going to be exceptional and ground-breaking in terms of at-the-limit transitioning, braking, and acceleration.

Good luck on your purchase!
Damn Clint...that may be the most rational, articulate, comprehensive, level headed post concerning this subject I have yet to read! Bravo!

To paraphrase and emphasize one of your points:

A great deal of this comparison will come down to what is ACTUALLY produced by both companies. The pending Z06's projected specifications look to be pretty well set at this point in time. The pending SRT Coupe's projected specs are a bit more murky. The comparison between the 2 projected cars will be markedly different IF the SRT Coupe is ultimately produced with an extra 50-100 BHP.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Vitamin_J said:
Tony, that Craig hates Vipers. So if you were looking for the Corvette response on the Viper board he is the first one to chime in. There are a lot of threads regarding this comparison of two cars that don't exist yet.

I think that you, like most Z06 owners (myself included), easily get bored with the car as you see 35,000 similar looking cars produced each year. There is no arguement as to the Vipers legacy and street credibility. The Viper will be more expensive, both cars will be close in performace. I sold my Z06 in lieu of the Viper because I wanted to feel good about spending this much money on a car.

Good Luck!

Vitamin Jizz,

I do not hate Vipers, never have, never will. Right now DC is saying 500 h.p. for the coupe and I beleive that's how first year cars are going to be built. No doubt we will see a h.p. increase but I think the 600h.p. rumor is pure BS, no way in hell mercedes will let that happen.

Chevy stepped up and is making one hell of a car for the money. It's a shame all DC did was slap a roof on the SRT along with a gen 2 GTS rear end. Fuck they put that car together in a weekend.

FOR SHAME.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your mature, and un argumentative comments (is that a word?). I do not own a Dodge store. I am one of the managers. Your answers were what I expected. I will decide as we get closer to the release of the beasts.

Thanks

·
Registered
776 Posts
Do not get sucker played by the hype of the new Z06. The punched out ls1 motor in the new Z06 is not the same thing as the real big block V10. The torque of a Viper is an awsome thing to experience.

Horsepower sale's magazines, torque wins races.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Viper said:
Do not get sucker played by the hype of the new Z06. The punched out ls1 motor in the new Z06 is not the same thing as the real big block V10. The torque of a Viper is an awsome thing to experience.

Horsepower sale's magazines, torque wins races.

475 ft-lbs is 475 ft-lbs no matter how you make it....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RedSnake said:
I have the #12 spot at Woodhouse for sale if you're interested :thumb:
Thanks, but I can order one for invoice, and be the first one. Anyone wanna be second (not for invoice)? I will put you in touch with my fleet director.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
TonyG said:
Thanks, but I can order one for invoice, and be the first one. Anyone wanna be second (not for invoice)? I will put you in touch with my fleet director.

Again, if Dodge does a cert program (highly likely) you won't be ordering fuck all.

stupid dealers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Craig201MPH said:
Again, if Dodge does a cert program (highly likely) you won't be ordering fuck all.

stupid dealers.
I figured it would only be a matter of time before the flames start. You have proven your immaturity. You don't even know what dealer I work at, how many we sell, or anything for that matter. I was looking for input, and I got it. Then an idiot like you decides to get out the blow torch. I know what our store is getting in terms of inventory, and you do not.

Great forum, thanks for the hospitality.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
TonyG said:
I figured it would only be a matter of time before the flames start. You have proven your immaturity. You don't even know what dealer I work at, how many we sell, or anything for that matter. I was looking for input, and I got it. Then an idiot like you decides to get out the blow torch. I know what our store is getting in terms of inventory, and you do not.

Great forum, thanks for the hospitality.

Yeah you'll get them if owners with certs come in, no shit. You can't just order in an SRT coupe when they become availiable for yourself with no cert. Were you working at the chevy dealership down the street last week? Most likely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Craig201MPH said:
Yeah you'll get them if owners with certs come in, no shit. You can't just order in an SRT coupe when they become availiable for yourself with no cert. Were you working at the chevy dealership down the street last week? Most likely.
No, I work for an owner that owns multiple franchises. I have been with dodge for about a year, never worked for a chev store, but many years at ford. Why do you feel the need to keep insulting me?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Because you appear to know shit all about ordering a first year Viper in it's introduction year. Hell even your owner can't pull any stings with dodge. You need a cert, end of story!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Craig201MPH said:
Because you appear to know shit all about ordering a first year Viper in it's introduction year. Hell even your owner can't pull any stings with dodge. You need a cert, end of story!
That is not the point, why the hostility?

We already know how many we are getting as I said.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.