Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a B&B exhaust with Roe Cats for my 02 GTS. I was thinking about getting headers as well but have a question for you guys who are more versed than me. I know that from 96-99 the Viper had forged pistons and a better cam. 2000 and newer have cast pistons and a different cam. Did the cam and pistons from the 96-99 produce more HP than the 2000 to present? And if so, how did Dodge make up the didderence if both cars are rated at 450hp? I keep seeing on here guys who have 96-99's changing headers and getting around 35hp, whereas 2000 and newer can expect to get about half that from changing the headers. Did Dodge make up the difference(if their is one) by putting less restrictive headers on the newer engines? I just can't see dropping around two grand for a maybe 15hp gain. And in case anyone saw my 547 or 547R post, I ordered the 547R in Chrome due in around 6 to 8 weeks.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
No HP difference between the years stock for stock. The cam overlap of the '96-99 Vipers is more responsive to the header change.

Sweet choice of wheels.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My 2000 GTS dynoed at 413 with just smooth tubes and catback exhaust. Other members in our club who had the same but with headers were dynoed the same day with between 420 and 430. Of course a completely stock 97 pulled 422.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
BigMac said:
Somebody has got to have some type of insight...bump

OK newbie, normally I'd be ragging on you right now but I like McDonalds /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

I dynoed my 2000 creampuff at 400.3 RWHP & 432.1 RWTQ, that afternoon I took it to Dan Cragin (The Viperpit) put on a set of Bellanger Tri-Y headers, 3" in/3" out Randomtech hi-flow cat and a set of Bellanger 3" catbacks. The car sounded great and I immediately took it back to the same dyno.

431.4 RWHP 472.4 RWTQ

31 RWHP & 40 RWTQ dyno verified increase.

Now go fuck yourself /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
458 Posts
SoCal
You have just pointed out the obstacle some of us newbies have, $3000.00+ for 30+ HP = $100.00 per HP. Now I already have Borla 3" cat Back & HF 3" Cats because I will never drive a stock vehicle, and they sound so much better. As you would probably agree, these mods. along with smooth tubes & filters are the minimum every Viper should have, or should have come from the factory with.
Headers are next for me, but that is a larger step. It helps tremendously to hear from others, like yourself, that have had improvements with mods. and try to quantify them in some way. A way of justifying the expense.
I'm ready to start talking to someone about a cam, flowed heads, intake, etc. Where does it end? For me, my wallett will end first, so I have to make the decisions correctly and rely on VA to help me make the right choices.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
FlyBryViper said:
SoCal
You have just pointed out the obstacle some of us newbies have, $3000.00+ for 30+ HP = $100.00 per HP. Now I already have Borla 3" cat Back & HF 3" Cats because I will never drive a stock vehicle, and they sound so much better. As you would probably agree, these mods. along with smooth tubes & filters are the minimum every Viper should have, or should have come from the factory with.
Headers are next for me, but that is a larger step. It helps tremendously to hear from others, like yourself, that have had improvements with mods. and try to quantify them in some way. A way of justifying the expense.
I'm ready to start talking to someone about a cam, flowed heads, intake, etc. Where does it end? For me, my wallett will end first, so I have to make the decisions correctly and rely on VA to help me make the right choices.
Hi-flow heads are great, BTR has some great deals but expect to spend $4K or so (with exchange), then you gotta put in T&D 1.7 roller rockers (good for about 50 RWHP. I don't think you really need larger intakes yet. Cams are also expensive and require a lot of labor to install, I was told by one tuner it's easier to pull the motor to install the cam, and with a hipo cam you gotta worry about smog, my :twocents:

I think you got tuners like RSI by you that can help :nod:

Email me at [email protected] if you have questions.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
If you want the most bang for the buck go with gears first.

3:55 gears will give you a great seat-of-the-pants improvement.

Aside from the racing factor (I don't think 3:55 is the ideal set up for racing), gears are the first thing I would do to any Viper. My 94 had stock gears compared to the 3:55s in the ACR I have now, and it's a huge difference.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well Hell, if I gotta shift to 4th in the 1/4, I may as well put some gear in the car. So is 3.55 a good all around street ratio? With this much torque I would think so.

·
Team Crown Recruiter
11,439 Posts
FlyBryViper said:
Well Hell, if I gotta shift to 4th in the 1/4, I may as well put some gear in the car. So is 3.55 a good all around street ratio? With this much torque I would think so.
The 3:55s are awesome for the street. Holeshots are better, and 6th gear becomes much more useable. The only downside (it's really negligent) I've noticed is the fuel mileage on the highway. Where the stock gears would keep the RPMs around 12-1300 at 85MPH, I'm now turning around 15-1600RPMs at that speed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts