Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Enlightened
25,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While talking with Chuck Tator, he checked the cost of a repair that I had my car in for today. The dealer relaced the 3rd brake light assembly and charged me $273 for the part and $94 to install. Chuck said the dealer price to me in the computer is $245 and that a simple hookup charge of $94 seemed steep.

I realize we aren't talking about much money here; but is this something I should talk to my dealer about? Charging 10% over the retail price seems a bit unreasonable, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
20,177 Posts
Dam, should have posted here you needed one, I have one I would have given to you MP. I would be scream'in. That's a lot of money for 10 minutes work /images/graemlins/sad /images/graemlins/sad

·
Enlightened
25,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, shoulda - I could have replaced that on my own. Had I known they were going to charge me that much for the job, I owuld have just asked for the part. I have an extended warrenty and just assumed it was covered - he said he tried all the codes, but none were approved.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Damn MP....you've been out of the loop too long (ownership loop, that is). /images/graemlins/smiles You will never again let ANYONE do ANYTHING to your Viper without calling Chuck FIRST!! /images/graemlins/smiles It does suck....

I can see if they had a MU of 10%....but to add to the retail. /images/graemlins/sad

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
vipergts2000 said:
Just like it cost me 400.00 for a clock spring to be replaced...I guess it is like a 45 minute job and little bic pen spring.....
Nope, clock spring is not a 45 minute job. have to pull the steering wheel, and get the electrical cable that connects to the SRS ECU out.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You should complain Mike, especially because they over charged you on the part. You should ask Chuck what the book rate for replacing the third light assembly is. They may or may not be out of line on that one even though it is not that hard of a task.

More than likely, you got taken advantage of because you had a Viper.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Final GTS said:
vipergts2000 said:
Just like it cost me 400.00 for a clock spring to be replaced...I guess it is like a 45 minute job and little bic pen spring.....
Nope, clock spring is not a 45 minute job. have to pull the steering wheel, and get the electrical cable that connects to the SRS ECU out.
Well glad to hear someone thinks it takes longer than that! Eveyone else said it was quick and easy a few months ago!!!!!

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
10,474 Posts
I had an "autonation" dealership tell me that that was their standard operating procedure. Mike go buy a extended care or maxcare warranty if you plan on keeping that car any length of time. Even with a car as modified as mine, its paid off the cost of the warranty MANY times over.

·
Enlightened
25,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually purchased my extended care package from Chuck when I purchased this car - however, it seems that this part is not covered. There was a higher level of coverage, but the upgraded parts covered didn't apply to the Viper for the most part.

I spoke to the dealer and they claimed the price listed on the computer is a "suggested retail" and that different markets and dealers will have different markup requirements based on their overhead costs.

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
PacketJunkie,

Do you have the part number of the assembly ? For part # 04763042, Viperlogo/third brake light. I show:

Part Description: LAMP
List Price: 370.00
Dealer Net: 222.00 USD

Chuck may have been telling you what he would sell you that part for.

p.s. Did you get the pm from me about a website ?

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
reasons like that are why i bought a manual a few yrs ago and started doing as much as i can myself

·
Premium Member
4,903 Posts
Chuck is correct on the msrp price......BIG BIG mark up from cost. You got screwed big time. I would have a heart to heart talk with the GM of that dealership. P.M. me if you want to see what cost is on that part.

·
Registered
720 Posts
yes...different dealers do charge different prices MP...thats the truth!!..i go to bat for alot of my customers myself!!...i feel they get waaaaayyy over charged for alot of things...it's even come down to a screaming match one time with the big boss over some stuff!!...i've even bought stuff at MY COST to help out alot of my customers..and they jus reimburse me....but i think they even screw the employees where i work too...i've found a fan clutch for my jeep on-line at Tellico 4X4 the EXACT SAME PART NUMBER!!!..and it cost $89.00 but if i buy it at work it's $129.00!!..can you belive that!!...so i do all i can for my customers...Len

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.