Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found the vibration I been feeling. It is my cooling fan behind the radiator. A large chunk has broken off the outer ring and is causing it to vibrate. Weird thing it is only felt if I turn the a/c on even though it is spinning all the time.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have a spare fan they would want to sell me? Just the blades. My clutch, motor, and shroud are all good.

2. I can't find an aftermarket replacement and Dodge only sells it as a complete unit for $900, shroud, motor and all. Again, I don't need the entire assembly.

3. What is involved in an electric conversion(best fit from experience, how to wire it for proper on/off, etc), and what do I do with the PS lines other than block them off?

20210428_152913.jpg

Not sure if the pic shows the missing piece clearly. I also have to try to figure out what broke it. Hopefully a rock or something got kicked up. It doesn't feel fragile or brittle.

Thanks,

Cdover73

·
Registered
30 Posts
Find someone parting a car out or hit up eBay. You don’t want to convert to electric fans... several have tried but the results didn’t seem to outperform the OEM setup.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Reactions: RGPIII

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an '03 and again I have to hear "Oh, you have one of THOSE". I found a company that parts out Vipers. They have used comete assemblies for $450 but have agreed to sell me just the plastic fan from a unit that has a bad hyd drive. Waiting to see if they can remove it without breaking and how much they want.

It seems these blades are famous for cracking and losing chunks from it. I did find that the reason I only feel the vibration with the ac on is because the fan clutch is spinning freely until a signal is given to lock the clutch through electromagnet to provide more air flow with increased drag/high temp situations or when the ac is turned on. I didn't realize this but it is almost the same as on my Ram 3500 Cummins.

While I am waiting for their response I will pull mine out and see how hard/easy the fan comes off. Does anyone know offhand how it is attached? Bolts, pressed onto shaft, c-clip,etc?? I assume it is removable regardless?

Thanks,
Cdover73

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this same exact thing happen to me while on a Tail of the Dragon meet in Tennessee. We drove 680 miles one way to the event and had no issues, drove on the tail for 3 days with no issues. Started the car on the sunday drive home (680 miles again) and heard/felt a slight "ticking" that we couldn't find out what it was. We had no choice but to get home and get it on a lift. As the day went on the vibration and ticking got worse. When i was getting off the highway about a mile from the house we lost power steering and i immediately started to watch the coolant temp, as expected it started to climb. Got the car into the garage puking coolant and power steering fluid everywhere. After digging around noticed that the Fan was missing a large chunk and that part had broken off and fell to the bottom of the cage and melted/welded to the cage. the vibration of the out of balance fan had loosened the pressure line after ~700 miles of vibrations. Crazy that it can just fracture and break with nothing hitting it, just age and getting brittle i guess. Car has a splitter on it that covers up the fan on the bottom so nothing came in from the bottom to hit it either.

Had to buy an entire new unit from Jon B and got the car back up and running last night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts