Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ViperAlley,

I'm new here and I'm also new to Vipers, so don't be too harsh on me. Post some pictures of custom vipers that you think are really cool. Also, feel free to say what you liked or disliked about the custom vipers or describe something you think Vipers really need.

I'm currently designing some body kits for the new Corvette C6 (which really needs a kit) and was thinking of tackling Vipers next. I included below a picture of the project I’m currently working on.

[image]http://www.gryphonauto.com/vehicles/C6%20Raven/images/009-800.jpg[/image]
Click Here for 1600x1200

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
If you create a body kit for a Gen I or II Viper, I will throttle you personally. You have my blessing to screw with Gen III, however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't underestimate my potential too quickly. Everyone thought I was insane for wanting to design Corvette kits, but the corvette enthusiasts absolutely love my work. I don’t create designs that I want nor do I create designs that the automotive industry declares acceptable. I get personal with the audience (Viper Enthusiasts), listen to their concerns, present solutions, study feedback, research likes and dislikes, and simply get to know what kind of person they (Viper Enthusiasts) are.

The Viper is a sweet looking car and is shaped in a way that doesn’t like being modified. My preliminary research showed that the Viper has a limited selection of exterior customizations, which most barely alter the appearance of the car. I love a challenge. The worst that could happen is I fail, in which case you loose nothing. If I succeed the world of Vipers will be a better place.

You’ve got nothing to loose. I say we talk vipers; are you in our are you out?

---

While we’re at it, what features (styling) do you like on the first and second generations that are not on the third generation?

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
You can mod all the Vettes you want. The Vette is a fine looking car--but not a classic like the Gen I/II Viper. Especially work on the front end of the C6.

For Gen III, the principal problem is lack of curves. The original competition coupe design looked great, but somehow lost "it" in the production convertible. That is, the angles worked in the prototype, but looked very plain in production. If you choose to pursue the angular approach, reverse engineer their changes and figure out where they went wrong. Otherwise, I would (1) round out the top of the fenders on the front quarter panels, and (2) figure out a new "power curve" for the hood. The present hood looks stupid. Also, the present after market designs for a hard top also look stupid. This may be unfixable, since if you match the present roofline "footprint" you get awkward proportions on the hardtop, but if you don't it rides on top of the trunk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Schillinger! That's what I'm looking for.

[/quote]For Gen III, the principal problem is lack of curves. [/quote]
Curves are my specialty; I love cars smooth curvy bodies. I'll have to take a closer look, but I'm sure I can do something about that.

I'll take a look at the differences between the concept and the production Vipers and see what you're talking about. Almost any car can use rounder fenders, and I'm certain I could do something for the hood and roof. I’ll make sure to take a close look at the Viper while considering your comments (because I’m new to Vipers).

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah curves, curves and curves. That is one of the biggest reason the I/II viper look so good and they get everybodies attention. Not that the III generation dont, but just the earlier ones look so much more slick and more like a viper if you know what I mean. Try to make the headlights a little more curving so it goes with the round fenders that you will be designing. Kind of awkward to have a more rounded front end and have a very straight and sharp designed headlight. :nod:

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
Bring on the body kits. Just make sure they are functional...and not just good looking. Great looks are fine, for a lexus. Vipers are for people who want to go fast and look good doing it.

Thanks.

PS: I'm not a vette guy...but they C6 looks great.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Gryphon,

If you create a body kit for the GenIII that is as eye catching as the GenI,II you will have people breaking down your doors for them. We all know Gen III styling went mainstream and got watered down. You need to make it more exotic and unique.

I will be looking forward to your concepts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/2327075-800.jpg[/image]
Vendor Voice - "Curves, Curves, Curves. Get your hot sexy curves."

It seems general consensus is the third Viper III needs to be more curvalicious. It went to a much more solid, cut, clean look that looks way too generic (just like the Corvette C6 did).

Functional
I always try my best. My own personal opinion is that a lot of styling that is excess and completely non functional usually make the car look like crap. With the Viper (as far as my research goes) I think I need to worry more about downforce than the drag coefficient (maybe someone can confirm this).

Vipers & Vettes
Considering I’m planning on playing both sides of the fence don’t expect me to say anything that will get me in trouble, but I do understand where both sides come from. /images/graemlins/wink

Doors Breaking Down?
Well, my specialty metal doors withstood the last assault, but I might consider upgrading to titanium reinforced steel /images/graemlins/wink It seems like everyone is unsatisfied with the Generation III Vipers.

Compliments
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I really do appreciate them. I’m a designer of the people, for the people, and by the people. I make what you want. Nothing makes me happier than when someone sees something I made and says, “daymn that is sexy.”

Questions
What years did each generation of Viper run? & Where would be a good place to get nice pictures of the Viper sorted by generation.

General Notes: GenIII Vipers
Overall Styling: More Curvy, More Unique
Headlights: More curvy, match Fenders
Front Fenders: More curvy
Hood: More aggressive, larger intake (vent), smoother & more balanced

·
Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,462 Posts
On the C6, get rid of the continuation of the "slashes" on the side vents. In other words, the crease continues out past the ducting presently, which may have seemed cool on paper, but looks insipid in actual practice.

For the Gen III, the motto should be "curvier and angrier."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Schillinger said:
On the C6, get rid of the continuation of the "slashes" on the side vents. In other words, the crease continues out past the ducting presently, which may have seemed cool on paper, but looks insipid in actual practice.

For the Gen III, the motto should be "curvier and angrier."
AGREED! :nod:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gryphon - Exotic Design said:
Curves are my specialty; I love cars smooth curvy bodies. I'll have to take a closer look, but I'm sure I can do something about that.
I went to your website and don't see a single body kit or ANYTHING for sale. Where are all these kits you have designed besides in the Photo Shop file on your computer?

If you do not have any you have actually produced why start on Vipers when you have NEVER done one on a Corvette?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Schillinger said:
I’m going to get rid of those slashes on the wide body version. I haven’t done it yet because I’m not replacing those panels on the regular version.

That is the problem with much of modern design. There is way too much emphasis on the sketch and sketching where as the real emphasis should be on the 3D or real life aspects of design, such as the way a car might smoothly curve. My design is extremely 3D based (I don’t even sketch) from the very start. I consider it as a whole object that is to be walked around or seen flying past. I don’t think of the lines as much as I consider the proportions, curvature, surface transitions, and flow. There is a whole extra level to exotic that is often lost on paper and sometimes lost in photographs.

Well enough of the “deep thought” nonsense, I’m just saying you can expect me to put in the extra effort, and my designs aren’t as superficial as a mere sketch.

Schillinger said:
On For the Gen III, the motto should be "curvier and angrier."
That seems to be the general consensus. What does everyone think about a front bumper for the Viper like I have for the C6 (blue picture at the beginning of the thread)? I’m not so cheap I’d simply transfer a kit design from one car to another, but it’s nice to know what people think.

MichaelP said:
I went to your website and don't see a single body kit or ANYTHING for sale. Where are all these kits you have designed besides in the Photo Shop file on your computer?

If you do not have any you have actually produced why start on Vipers when you have NEVER done one on a Corvette?
I’m an independent designer; I don’t make kits and I don’t sell kits. I will have the Raven kit available for the C6 this year (soon after the C6 is available publicly), so I’m not exactly sure where you’re going with these comments.

These designs are made with 3D Studio Max and Rhinoceros 3.0, which not only requires 30x as much money to get, but also requires 30x as much time, expertise, intelligence, and creativity. It isn’t every day that you have the services of a highly creative, highly skilled artist that is willing to risk a few hundred hours on a project he may never see a cent from.

In the worst case scenario, I loose a few hundred hours of work and you end up with something to drool over. Join the party, it's on me!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am impressed with your work, Gryphon. You can tell it takes quite a bit of work to come up with these designs. :thumb: Good luck on your efforts.

I wold like to see you come up with any files of this quality on Photoshop, MichaelP.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
The blue car looks terrific keep up the great design. That look alone would make me want to buy the car. The present look is mundane and boring. The red car in the forfront of the other picture below is a mix of Saleen, Diablo and Ferrari (Several models). All in all great designs.

Thanks,

Jay K.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts