Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99GTS and the coolant temp will get up to 220 all the time no matter if its 70 degrees or 95...is this normal temp or should it be lower?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
lawnman said:
I have a 99GTS and the coolant temp will get up to 220 all the time no matter if its 70 degrees or 95...is this normal temp or should it be lower?

Thanks
Mine is normally 190 - 200 but with the AC on while idling at a stop light I can get up to 210 border line 220. Usually around then the thermostat kicks in though to bring it back down. Once I get moving again it seems to return back to 190ish again.

Do you notice this with yours? If so I'd say its normal. Just checked my coolant the other day, and it was at the right level.

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
That does not seem normal to me - it should be solid at 190; perhaps your t-stat is malfunctioning?

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
I think it's probably OK. You might need to burp your system. If the fans go on at 220, then your gage is likely calibrated poorly and 220 is more like 210. a 10 degree variance of these gages is common.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
It will run 220 if you constantly run the rpms high (for a Viper) when shifting. Shifting under 3K should reduce the temp.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!! I will try a new Thermostat and burp the system because it runs at 220 with the a/c off and I had the coolant changed 3 months ago.

·
Registered
791 Posts
thats 208 degrees with the a/c off...if a/c is on it'll run all the time...Len

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jon at partsrack.com says that the fan comes on at 230 degrees, and its normal for the car to run at the last mark on the gauge(aproxx 230 degrees) during slow traffic with AC on in hot weather.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Maybe it's just me be I'd rather not have my car hitting the top of the heat guage under any condition, especially for long periods of time like sitting in traffic in hot weather.

·
Registered
791 Posts
use the roe fan setup...it turns the fans on and off at a temp you determine..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts