Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I'm confused. So is the bottle empty while it's running? But when it cools down coolant does in fact return to the recovery bottle? That's how it's supposed to operate, with the small exception that the recovery bottle shouldn't be completely empty as it runs.

"Level changes are to be expected as coolant volume changes with engine temperature. If the level in the bottle is visible through the site window centered between maximum and minimum mark at normal engine operating temperature, the level should return to within that range after operation and elevated temperatures." Page: 7-6

AND

"Air is removed from the system as it gathers in the coolant deareation pressure bottle and is released into the atmosphere through the pressure valve located in the pressure cap when the pressure reaches 16 to 18 psi. The air is replaced with coolant from the coolant recovery bottle." Page: 7-13

AND

"The engine cooling system will push any remaining air into the coolant bottle within about an hour of normal driving. As a result, a drop in coolant level in the pressure bottle may occur." Page: 7-15

That all would suggest to me there's not enough coolant in the system. Or huge pocket. Or an unidentified leak or vacuum leak in the coolant system.

If you're not seeing any leaks, AND the bottle refuses to hold coolant while operating temps, I don't know what to tell you. What color is your oil? Does it look like coolant is mixing in it?
No the bottle is not emptying it is losing a bit while running but then returns when cooled off but no drips or lose of any antifreeze

Then it sounds like you are good to go then. Keep a regular check on the overflow bottle for a week or so. You can pull the round rubber plug and turn your phone light on inside to help make it easier to see the fluid level.

• Love
Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T
THe overflow bottle in the facia has a cheap-ass pop-on plastic cap (not a screw on one) so if you really jarred the pothole, MAYBE that brittle cap popped off and you sloshed enough fluid out to empty the reservoir...that would not cause an overheating issue in and of itself, but over a dozen drive cycles or so (depending on how you drive), it might allow the system to purge enough antifreeze to overheat. You'd be seeing signs of fluid loss during driving consistently, however. Filling and sitting still won't show this condition. Need to drive the piss out of it and see what happens.

Reactions: 99RT10&GTS
Discussion starter · #27 ·
THe overflow bottle in the facia has a cheap-ass pop-on plastic cap (not a screw on one) so if you really jarred the pothole, MAYBE that brittle cap popped off and you sloshed enough fluid out to empty the reservoir...that would not cause an overheating issue in and of itself, but over a dozen drive cycles or so (depending on how you drive), it might allow the system to purge enough antifreeze to overheat. You'd be seeing signs of fluid loss during driving consistently, however. Filling and sitting still won't show this condition. Need to drive the piss out of it and see what happens.
It did not over heat since reading the Manual it went to about 230 but once I shut the car off it puked everywhere but I’ve been in 90+ degree weather and nothing had lost fluid or leaks and car is steady temp at 205-215

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.