Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased this car and I was driving home I was getting on it a bit and bam a pot hole and was about a minute away when check engine light came on and looked at the temp giants and it was pushing 250 once I shut the car off it all dispersed all over and steam on passenger side by head light please give me some closure

·
Registered
607 Posts
Could be lots of things. In particular, the expansion tank and associated hoses are in that area. The radiator also sits fairly low but is reasonably protected. Get some photos and folks might be able to better diagnose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Landscaping Professional
14,477 Posts
This is not uncommon.

You are 95% likely to find that one lower fascia attachment bolt has pierced the bottom corner of the overflow siphon tank. It sits between the fog light and the frame rail.

Remove and clean with soap, then put some sealant in/on the hole and reinstall. Either shorten the SEMS bolt, or put a shorter one in the hole.

·
Premium Member
19,824 Posts
Putting a hole in the overflow will not cause it to overheat. You have another issue, I would check to see if it is leaking out of your head gaskets. It is a known Gen 1 engine issue

·
Registered
836 Posts
My bet, if not the above, is factory radiator that is gummed up and needs to be cleaned out or replaced.

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,932 Posts
So I purchased this car and I was driving home I was getting on it a bit and bam a pot hole and was about a minute away when check engine light came on and looked at the temp giants and it was pushing 250 once I shut the car off it all dispersed all over and steam on passenger side by head light please give me some closure
You don't know dick about this car.

Could've been existing cooling issues. The pothole could very well be happenstance. If the pothole had nothing to do with it, check gaskets and fan module.

If it was the pothole strike, then overflow bottle OR the core support might've cracked, allowing too much movement at the 30 year old coolant hoses.

OR, do you like helicopters?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't know dick about this car.

Could've been existing cooling issues. The pothole could very well be happenstance. If the pothole had nothing to do with it, check gaskets and fan module.

If it was the pothole strike, then overflow bottle OR the core support might've cracked, allowing too much movement at the 30 year old coolant hoses.

OR, do you like helicopters?
Appreciate your input very kind words

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is not uncommon.

You are 95% likely to find that one lower fascia attachment bolt has pierced the bottom corner of the overflow siphon tank. It sits between the fog light and the frame rail.

Remove and clean with soap, then put some sealant in/on the hole and reinstall. Either shorten the SEMS bolt, or put a shorter one in the hole.
So I realized the coolant spill came from the overflow tank I’m not sure why though I put one gallon of coolant and am letting it run to see if it over heats or spills out ran for about 20 mins temp gauge did not go passed 150 the fans came on after awhile but that’s normal any idea guys?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,477 Posts
You need to SEARCH "Viper coolant burp" and read a while. Your RT has a Gen 1 block with Gen 2 computer controls. Run the engine with the heater valve open full.

• Love
Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we
This is not uncommon.

How do I replace the coolant recovery bottle I peeped in there and it is bone dry so I’m assuming I indeed pop a hole. I’m not sure if I need to remove the bumper and is the car capable of being driven while the coolant recovery bottle is empty. Everything that was lost was refilled .

·
Registered
836 Posts
Bumper most come off to repair/replace that bottle.

No, I wouldn't drive the car with that bottle empty. What will happen is the hot coolant will be pushed into the bottle, it will drain out (not really that big of a deal) but as the coolant cools down it will then suck in air (bottle is empty now). This will create air bubbles in the system and thus make the car run hotter. Repeat that cycle enough times and the car will overheat.

Buy a new bottle and replace it or fix your current one as GTS Dean said.

·
8,932 Posts
So my overflow was empty so I am assuming there is a hole from puncture of screw will remove and dissect
Have you observed it leaking or have you only observed an empty bottle?

I'd refill and burp as suggested first. If you see it dribbling out, THEN go to work on the fascia. If it doesn't dribble out from the recover bottle, it's something else eating your coolant.

Taking the fascia off is no less than elevety-billion fasteners and decades of realignment if there's unknown frame/shim, hood to headlight, issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you observed it leaking or have you only observed an empty bottle?

I'd refill and burp as suggested first. If you see it dribbling out, THEN go to work on the fascia. If it doesn't dribble out from the recover bottle, it's something else eating your coolant.

Taking the fascia off is no less than elevety-billion fasteners and decades of realignment if there's unknown frame/shim, hood to headlight, issues.
I filled the recovery bottle half way burped it as well and the cars been running for 20 minutes in 90 degree weather steady at 205 temp not over heating I believe it’s burped but not certain how will I know and if so what could of cause the recovery bottle to malfunction hitting pothole?

·
8,932 Posts
It's probably the pothole, but, I'm not even considering the pothole still.

If you refilled it, burped it, and it's holding temp, and you don't see any leaks and the recovery bottle is still empty, refill the damn bottle.

Real talk: pages 7-1 thru 7-21 in the service manual are your friend. Good luck.

Probably just the pothole.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's probably the pothole, but, I'm not even considering the pothole still.

If you refilled it, burped it, and it's holding temp, and you don't see any leaks and the recovery bottle is still empty, refill the damn bottle.

Real talk: pages 7-1 thru 7-21 in the service manual are your friend. Good luck.

Probably just the pothole.
I refilled the bottle before starting it ran for 20 min shut off it’s still at the exact height I set it no drips or anything

·
8,932 Posts
I refilled the bottle before starting it ran for 20 min shut off it’s still at the exact height I set it no drips or anything
I'm confused. So is the bottle empty while it's running? But when it cools down coolant does in fact return to the recovery bottle? That's how it's supposed to operate, with the small exception that the recovery bottle shouldn't be completely empty as it runs.

"Level changes are to be expected as coolant volume changes with engine temperature. If the level in the bottle is visible through the site window centered between maximum and minimum mark at normal engine operating temperature, the level should return to within that range after operation and elevated temperatures." Page: 7-6

AND

"Air is removed from the system as it gathers in the coolant deareation pressure bottle and is released into the atmosphere through the pressure valve located in the pressure cap when the pressure reaches 16 to 18 psi. The air is replaced with coolant from the coolant recovery bottle." Page: 7-13

AND

"The engine cooling system will push any remaining air into the coolant bottle within about an hour of normal driving. As a result, a drop in coolant level in the pressure bottle may occur." Page: 7-15

That all would suggest to me there's not enough coolant in the system. Or huge pocket. Or an unidentified leak or vacuum leak in the coolant system.

If you're not seeing any leaks, AND the bottle refuses to hold coolant while operating temps, I don't know what to tell you. What color is your oil? Does it look like coolant is mixing in it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts