Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traveled to Gary Barbera Dodge to try out a Viper...all they have are SRT 10s. I was wondering for those that have tried other Vipers how you believe the driving and handling is between the SRT 10 and other, perhaps earlier model Vipers. Seems like the SRT 10 is much more controllable and refined (driving perspective) then alot of articles etc lead you to believe. I have an 05 Vette and I am seriously thinking about trading it in early Spring of 05 for a new Red SRT-10. Have any of you experienced accidents or other issues early on while attempting to master the Snake? Appreciate your insight.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
obviously stock vs stock SRT10 can outhandle out perform and outbrake damn near anything including GenI and II vipers. its a preference issue as the lower priced GenIIs can easily be brought up to par and beyond in comparisson to the srt10 performance. IMO the total package viper is a Gen II RT10, you go with a 99 and youve got it all; amenities, best yr of performance, only thing missing is ABS which isnt needed. add a few bucks to it and youve got a monster thatll out perform the SRT10 and just about any other vehicle on the planet PLUS they simply look the meanest and are most outrageous attention getter of them all, period.

as for trading an 05 vette for a viper. no brainer, do it.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
obviously stock vs stock SRT10 can outhandle out perform and outbrake damn near anything including GenI and II vipers. its a preference issue as the lower priced GenIIs can easily be brought up to par and beyond in comparisson to the srt10 performance. IMO the total package viper is a Gen II RT10, you go with a 99 and youve got it all; amenities, best yr of performance, only thing missing is ABS which isnt needed. add a few bucks to it and youve got a monster thatll out perform the SRT10 and just about any other vehicle on the planet PLUS they simply look the meanest and are most outrageous attention getter of them all, period.

Agreed, the 99's, especially the GTS and ACR are the way to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys -- I plan on doing it in the early spring -- I live in Pa and with the bad weather coming it doesnt make much sense to do it now -- the Vette is a nice car however I was the only one with a C6 in my area and now I have seen about 6 of them -- they arent exclusive or exotic like the Snake. Plus the raw power and edge of the Viper is something I cant pass up even with a hit on the sale/trade of the vette. Going to get an 05 SRT 10 -- Viper Red -- Play Velvet Revolver real loud and feel good about being 40 something.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
V10 MOJO said:

I totally agree...ironically when I bought the rt I started looking at gts's and thought...damn that looks more like a race car, but when they're driving side by side, the rt looks so much wider and lower...
without getting into a preference war...I agree with mojo, the rt is the way to go...I'd get a genII over an srt as of now..and I'm not saying that because I have an genII, I'm saying that because I choose to have a gen II.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've had both an RT and a GTS, and I've driven all three. The GTS wins for looks, hands down. The RT is awesome to have when the top is off. The SRT is a nicer car, handles better, brakes better, and has more power stock, but they re-sell like shit. There you go, my son. Make the best choice you can with the information I've given you.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
BigCarrot said:
I've had both an RT and a GTS, and I've driven all three. The GTS wins for looks, hands down. The RT is awesome to have when the top is off. The SRT is a nicer car, handles better, brakes better, and has more power stock, but they re-sell like shit. There you go, my son. Make the best choice you can with the information I've given you.

gts wins for looks hands down....c'mon carrot...hands down? that's a bold statement. :smooch:

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
nah, best lines aesthetically are the RT. wide low and strong looking. the GTS loses a bit of that muscularity due to its height from the roof (hence the clownshoe appearance)

however, the RT soft top is pathetic and i hate putting it on. actually all RT tops are shit looking (and shit quality too for that matter) but topless its the best looking, got that "dont fuck with me attitude" as its coming toward ya /images/graemlins/toothy

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
V10 MOJO said:
however, the RT soft top is pathetic and i hate putting it on. actually all RT tops are shit looking (and shit quality too for that matter) but topless its the best looking, got that "dont fuck with me attitude" as its coming toward ya /images/graemlins/toothy
MadMaxx was just about to make a top that worked better but I don't think he is going to give any Alley discounts anymore :rofl:

·
Sexist
44,756 Posts
A topless RT/10 is as good as it gets.
A GTS is as good as it gets.
A SRT/10 performance is as good as it gets. And don't go bringing up aftermarkets and Enzos ok?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
so sayeth the chuckwagon. end of convo! /images/graemlins/toothy

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
LOL, dont worry brother, ill keep it running just long enough to win the 9.90 class!! and to get to the WingHouse :thumb:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
A topless RT/10 is as good as it gets.
A GTS is as good as it gets.
A SRT/10 performance is as good as it gets. And don't go bringing up aftermarkets and Enzos ok?

AND WHAT AUTHORITY ARE YOU chuck? Do you have a GTS and an RT or something....surely not so what authority are you to make such a statement? :nod:

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
Super Squirrel said:
Do you have a GTS and an RT or something....
Doesn't everybody?
My favorite quote of yours....

Now you Doug Levin car...is that just the one of them or is that both of the vipers......just the one right?

:rofl:-Chuck

addressing smack with Gerald.

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
Turbo63 said:
I was wondering for those that have tried other Vipers how you believe the driving and handling is between the SRT 10 and other, perhaps earlier model Vipers. ...... Have any of you experienced accidents or other issues early on while attempting to master the Snake? Appreciate your insight.
Well, since none of these other weenies actually owned an SRT at any point, I suppose somebody should actually answer your questions. /images/graemlins/wink

I am on my second SRT-10 and previously owned a GTS (for 26,000 miles). The SRT-10 is indeed easier to drive than the previous Vipers, in that it is not quite as loose. However, compared to a Vette or pretty much anything else on the road it is a SERIOUS handful. Still has those wide-ass tires, stiff suspension, and ungodly amounts of torque that very few can master. Like every generation of Viper, many fail to survive the first 30 days of ownership. No traction control or other driving aids, a quick stab of the go pedal on even a sweeping turn and you can be spinning faster than the bottle at a Roman Polanki slumber party. Cold roads and cold pavement? Forget trying to race even a Yugo - you will spin all day long.

Although you DIDN'T ask (but everybody weighed in anyway), the GTS is indeed a better looking Viper in many people's eye, including mine. However if you are going from a Vette to a Viper and are worried about the handling, the SRT-10 is more manageable than the previous Vipers. Oh yeah, and Carrot is correct in that Dodge is building a lot more Vipers than usual (dumb) and thus the resale on them is not good. If you are set on red, I would suggest you look at a pre-owned SRT with low miles. There are quite a few of them available and you will save some serious coin. Woodhouse Dodge is my personal fave (Bill Pemberton - 800-889-1893). Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
341 Posts
SRT looks like a bloated Honda s2000.

Its nice looking, but no match for a GTS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.