Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Viper Alley is the heart and brains..(nay... the SOUL) of the Viper community.... riddle me this.

What are the pros and cons between buying a 1998 RT/10 and a 1999 RT/10?? What are the benefits brought by the 1999 over the 1998.... if there are any? I hear rumor that the 1999 is the more desireable, but why.

And just how valuable is an extended warranty......... I ask because I have located another Silver RT.... this one a 1998 w/8,400 miles... but no extended warranty? Asking price is the same as the 1999... w/25,000 miles but an extended DC warranty till 100,000 miles or 8/06??

Thanks in advance,
Lance /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I can't remember when the RT got real power windows, but that would be my deciding factor. Everything else is just a color choice IMO with an RT.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Powerwindows came in 1997 I think.

Extended warranty is a joke IMHO. As long as you keep your car in good shape you should not have to use the warranty. I had extended warranty on a few of my cars and did not even use them. Also, should you decide to upgrade your car, especially engine mods, I am sure your warranty will be voided.

If the 98 is the color you want with way less miles, I would get the 98. But don't get anything after the 99, I heard that they changed pistons that year. I am sure someone will give you a way better explanation than I did.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Warranty is worth every penny. Its saved me thousands on my Durango and the same on my Viper. If you have a good Viper tech, he'll warranty damn near anything from Dodge even after you've modded the car to hell and back.

If you just want an RT to cruise around in, then like I said, its a color choice. If you plan to boost it or what not, then there are other considerations. I personally don't like the gen1 interior, so I would go gen2 RT, but thats just me.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
98 over 97:
98 got the lighter exhaust manifolds (more hp, less weight)
98 got a touch milder cam
98 late models got the upgraded fan
98 got the alarm override

99 over the 98:
99 got the 18 wheels
99 got the power mirrors

Extended warranty is huge! I've gotten 5x the value of the cost of mine, and have 45k miles left to go!

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
I prefer 98 over 99 but the differences are subjective and negligable.

Jet, 98 was the first year of the glovebox alarm reset.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
main thing for me was the GTS hood was made available for RT10 in 99, when i was going to buy a 98, i asked for the GTS hood on it and they were gonna charge me an additional 5K, but then waiting one yr it became standard, glad i waited.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
One "smooth" hood on a 98 RT/10.....the rest were (and likely still are) "GTS" hoods.

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
KingViper said:
Powerwindows came in 1997 I think.

Extended warranty is a joke IMHO. As long as you keep your car in good shape you should not have to use the warranty. I had extended warranty on a few of my cars and did not even use them. Also, should you decide to upgrade your car, especially engine mods, I am sure your warranty will be voided.

If the 98 is the color you want with way less miles, I would get the 98. But don't get anything after the 99, I heard that they changed pistons that year. I am sure someone will give you a way better explanation than I did.
'97 is correct, but the GTS hood first came on the '98.

BTW, I am in agreement with you on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
slaughterj said:
98 over 97:
Extended warranty is huge! I've gotten 5x the value of the cost of mine, and have 45k miles left to go!
Slaughter.... can you expound on your extended warranty claims on the 1998??? I am looking seriously at a 1998 and 1999.. as stated the 1998 does not have an extended warranty (only 7,400 miles but no warranty) the 1999 has the extended warranty (25,000 miles)......

Also, what was the first year for adjustable pedals..... my wife is significantly shorter than my 6'3"!!

Thankyou,
Lance

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Thin Man said:
Also, what was the first year for adjustable pedals..... my wife is significantly shorter than my 6'3"!!

Thankyou,
Lance
Yer wife's gonna drive yer viper?????? /images/graemlins/shocked /images/graemlins/shocked /images/graemlins/shocked /images/graemlins/shocked

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SNAKBIT said:
Thin Man said:

Thankyou,
Lance
Yer wife's gonna drive yer viper?????? /images/graemlins/shocked /images/graemlins/shocked /images/graemlins/shocked /images/graemlins/shocked
Hell yeah... she drives all my cars.... she particularly enjoys driving the 1969 Mach I from time to time. The only car she really did not like to drive was the 1989 Jaguar XJ-S Convertible... she said it was too "girly".

She's cool!

That's one reason why I married her 13 years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts