Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd go ahead and replace mine before it broke as a precautionary measure. I got everything apart and it turns out that my 98' GTS isn't using the typical bird cage style plastic bushing that is so notorious for breaking. Its using the same style bushings and metal retaining clips as the clutch pedal link. Did the factory come up with this fix and upgrade the cars that came into dealerships with problems? I'm glad my car isn't using that shitty plastic birdcage style bushing but I'm curious as to why it isn't.

From right to left the pic shows the birdcage style I just purchased, the beat up plastic bushing I found in my slave cylinder upon dis assembly, and the bronze bushing I made to replace the plastic one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Your bronze bushing looks miles better! How did you make it? Lathe CNC?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your bronze bushing looks miles better! How did you make it? Lathe CNC?
Thanks! I made it on a CNC swiss lathe. Probably overkill seeing as how the plastic bushing has 30k miles on it and is only slightly deformed. Its a real bitch working under the dash on these cars and if I'd had known my car wasn't equipped with the bird cage style bushing I would have just left everything alone.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I remember a thread somewhere where a guy documented how he changed the "birdcage" style retainer setup over to a much better design... Would like to find it again.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I still need to get around to installing that. In the middle of a move and a huge transition in my career so it will be a while. I'll keep an eye on your results to see how you like it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still need to get around to installing that. In the middle of a move and a huge transition in my career so it will be a while. I'll keep an eye on your results to see how you like it.

Both the bushings in my clutch link and the bushing in the end of my slave cylinder are now made of bronze and thus far there are no noticeable differences, but I didn't think there would be. I suspect that the bronze ones will stand up better over time. The plastic ones that came out had 30k on them and where showing some wear but I bet they had another 20k or 30k miles of life left in them. Maybe less if it were city driving where the clutch is constantly being engaged and disengaged. KNG, let me know how those work out for you......unless they suck and leave you stranded somewhere. In that case I don't wanna hear jack shit about it lol.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember a thread somewhere where a guy documented how he changed the "birdcage" style retainer setup over to a much better design... Would like to find it again.
All you need to do is swap out the pivot pin that actuates the slave cylinder, over to the style that is used for the clutch pedal link. Get that pin and the associated bushing, washer, and retaining clip and you're good to go. I don't have a part number but the one on my car looks exactly like the pivot pins used to actuate the clutch link.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since this 7 year old thread just got a bump, I'll say that the bronze bushings I made are still holding up great.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Thanks for popping in to say hello! How's the car running?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for popping in to say hello! How's the car running?
It's down for the moment. I'm swapping out the aluminum T&D roller rockers for a set of the steel T&D roller rockers. I'm hoping the new rockers ship out sometime this month.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,127 Posts
Mile's ready to go up to Road America in 10 days!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the timing couldn't be more perfect; I stumbled upon this old, but revived thread while trying to figure out an issue with my clutch pedal, maybe someone in here can help.

'98 GTS with ~42k miles. I recently noticed a little lateral play in my clutch pedal, enough so that when depressing the clutch it feels like it rubs against the shaft that runs to the master cylinder, unless I apply a little pressure to the right when depressing the pedal. The car shifts totally fine. I'm having trouble figuring out 1) which bushings or connectors may be worn. Where the pedal meets the pivot shaft? Where the master cylinder rod meets the linkage? Somewhere else? And 2) what to replace said bushing with once I find it. Any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts