Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recomendations on what works best to clean/polish the 96-98 GTS wheels?

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
soap and water. the stock rims have a clear coat if i am not mistaken. get a wash mit, a bucket of car wash and water, and have a hay day. that's all i use on my HREs. they are polished with a clear coat. the car wash has no abrasive, and the clear coat wipes clean

·
Registered
468 Posts
Even thought they are clearcoated, is there a way to shine the clear-coat up a little. Maybe some type of wax?
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
wash'em, wax'em.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
wax just keeps dust from accumulating and "sticking"...if you wax'em, you can just blow off (practically) the dust. That's the only reason why I do it. I've tried just about everything but that's been the best for me.

·
Registered
408 Posts
3M SSR #39009 followed up with your favorite wax or Zaino.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've given up trying to keep the dust off mine, it was never ending and there a lot of better things to do with my time.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hand polished mine last night using a Meguiars machine polish (I think, I have it in an unmarked bottle, may be 3M). They actually made a difference and came out pretty good. Small scratches are hidden much better now, and the wheels feel so much smoother. Hopefully the dust won't stick as bad now.
:thumb:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Definetly use a polish on the wheels after washing. Once you polish them just get a little CA duster and it takes 2 seconds to dust them to a perfect shine. My wheels seem abnormally shiny compared to others I have seen. Most people who see them ask if they have been chromed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
jdawg, SWEEEEEET PIC. good angle. I'll be copying you and taking the smae pic later today...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J Dawg, your wheels look great!! I can see why people think they are chrome.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
J DAWG is right on... Small CA duster is the secret. Although, if your rims get wet while dirty, the brake 'dust' will turn to brake 'dirt'. They will need a regular bath at this point.

Later

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Tim Sutherland said:
J Dawg - The wheels look great. Why kind of polish do you use on yours?

Started out using zaino, but Snake Bitten talked me into using the Pinnacle brand now. I think the important thing is just to make sure you have some kind of protectant or polish on them. It makes them a hell of a lot easier to clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts