Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left home this morning in the Viper, only to get down the road a little bit when I hear a clattering/grinding sort of noise coming from the rear section of the car. At first, it sounded a bit like when you're riding a bike, and the chain is loose. It was not continuous, but I turned the car around and took it home, and it did make noise for a fair stretch of the ~2 mile drive back, but did stop making noise some as well. There was no apparent effect on my ability to drive the car, shift, turn, etc. - everything felt fine. Any idea what this could be? Differential? Wheel bearing? Something else?

Might have Viper Tech Tom Sessions stop by tomorrow morning to listen to it on his way to Putnam Park, but figured I'd check here for thoughts as well.

· Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recently changed the diff fluid (~1000 miles or so), but with the correct fluid (verified the part # repeatedly), and had the additive as well.

· Landscaping Professional
14,103 Posts
Have you had your 998/999 recall done recently? Could it be a u-joint?

· Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTS Dean said:
Have you had your 998/999 recall done recently? Could it be a u-joint?
Had those done a while ago.

Tom Sessions came by on his way to Indiana today, and quickly figured out the problem - my left rear brake caliper pin (which holds the brake pads) had gone bad, mauled the caliper a bit and apparently was sliding around, the chattering being when it slid far enough out to touch the rim!!!! Getting it fixed soon! Thanks Tom!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.