Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clarification of a few things:

Before I get the little gang all over this post jumping me, I would ask anybody responding to this to read the entire post and try to see this from my perspective. Thank you.

I would like to point out a few things here that seem to have been overlooked:

I finished my post of what happened and said there was no need to point fingers at anybody and that it was my fault and that we detonated the car. End of story.

Jason and I had everything figured out until last night until he made this post at 10:03pm:

“Attention to the following people: JKG95, Torquemonster, PRVTJET, 00SVTDUBS. It does not take a whole lot to see that there has been the implication that this engine failure is the result of something that had to do with myself. It is blatantly obvious that all of you have not been fully informed of the details of this situation. I would strongly urge that all of you get your information up to date. After getting the latest information on this situation I DARE YOU to make any implication that this failure had anything to do with me. Should one of you decide to do so then the truth WILL come out”

He was reading into the situation and overreacting!

All yesterday afternoon and night Big Puppet was on a mission to bring out how the car had a problem before I could even get home to post the results of the Arrow failure report.

I wanted to get all the facts before I made a post. I believe he did this to hurt me for the pleasure of whoever was giving him all that information.

He brought up information that only the puppet masters could have told him.

Jason made this post this morning:

“I just wanted to quote this so Paolo can thank you for setting the truth free. It'll take me most of the day to compose this on but be on the lookout.”

To me, this looked like a threat to me and I had done nothing since our last conversation where I had some posts deleted Jason felt were implying his fault although I did not read it the same way.

To protect myself, I simply posted some of the things I held back from the failure report in trying to keep things peaceful with Jason. He said we were cool and then he was out to get me because of Barry’s post although I had done nothing to him since our last phone conversation.

Jason did a very good post to convey his version of the story. But there a few facts that have been overlooked with some of the bias that exists on the board.

Here are some of the things that are pure fact that have nothing to do with the detonation of the motor:

1.Jason seized my brand new timing chain cover within seconds of priming the oiling system.

==> I had to buy another one and have it next day aired from Arrow.

2. He left on the valve cover baffles that were destroyed by the 1.7 T&D rocker arms and high lift cam.resulting in chunks of metal going through my motor.

3. Jason assembled the rod and piston combination whereby the rod was digging a groove into the piston skirt.

The baffles and the piston skirt debris definitely went through the bearings of the motor.

How would anybody here feel if they paid good money to have a motor built and this happened to them?

No matter how you cut it, Jason Heffner made mistakes with the sizing of the piston pier: Either the rod was too wide, or the piston pier was too narrow period.

Arrow pointed out how #6 main bearing was scored and how the crank was scored. I got the impression that the debris form Jason’s mistakes could not have helped the situation.

Jason is saying how the detonation changes everything yet when Arrow was assessing the situation they were looking at a detonated/scorched block deck when they made the suggestions about the machining being off and about the debris.

I think there is also a chain of events here that needs to be clarified for accuracy.

When Arrow saw the #2 rod bearing, they told us that it was a good thing it detonated because the #2 rod bearing would have spun on the next dyno pass anyway. They did not initially mention detonation being the cause of #2 rod bearing failure.

They measured the tolerances of the main bores and so on and we got the idea that this motor had questionable clearances AT THE TIME IT WAS ASSEMBLED.

With all this being said, I would like to clarify a few inaccuracies people are taking the wrong way:

1. I did not pick up the car from Jason in December 2002, I dropped it off a couple of days after X-mas 2002 and picked it up sometime in late June or early July 2003. I drove the car for 6500 miles until right after the V-10 nationals in 2003. I removed the blower and sold it planning on building my own twin turbo system. I wanted to design it myself and diligently undertook the task by myself and became obsessed with the design every waking moment of the day to the point I could only sleep 4 hours per night as any slight waking resulted in my mind racing with more and more ideas. I ordered some u-bends and cut them in such a way as to make a set of headers within .64% of each other in length that flowed through a 5 into one burns collector to a pair of front mounted twin turbos. This was completely different than any other system done on a Viper so far.

2.I never did a compression test like Jason said. We removed the oil pan to weld on the oil drain returns and removed the Windage tray to see if there was any more valve cover baffle material that could still be floating around in there. We did, however, still find some small valve cover baffle pieces when Arrow took the engine apart.

3. Jason said the detonation caused the piston to rod clearance problem which is not the case at all. #12 specifically says, “All pistons have wear marks from contact with small end of connecting rod to piston pin piers "(not enough side clearance).”
4. Jason says I posted about the car’s incredible performance and bragged how incredible it was. Maybe he took it as bragging, How about pride for all the time and dedication? They were threatened when I put the most powerful TT Viper on the dyno in my signature and posted the comparison of Chad’s car to mine for RWHP and RWTQ at similar boost levels. Then Carrot starts hitting me with all this information he could only have gotten from 1 or two people but certainly not from me!

5. I did not just ask Jason Heffner for 7K. There is more to it than that. I felt that the valve cover baffle and improper piston pier/rod clearance issues combined with the initial feeling I got from the teardown inspection saying the machining clearances were off, I thought that was a fair thing to ask for if it was the case Jason or his engine builder had made these mistakes…. Now after calling Todd back he said that after more consideration, he could not say for sure that the torque maybe could or could not have have distorted the block’s clearances.

When I called Jason back, I felt that with this new verdict from Arrow, I would ask for 6-7K and offer him my block and crank that could no longer be used together after being repaired due to there not being any bearings available to make them work together.

He became very upset with me and told me my block was torched and a piece of garbage and that I was nuts and did not tell him the truth about the degree to which my motor detonated.

I have to say that, before this, I had never seen the results of detonation.

In the initial conversation with Jason on the way back from Arrow, I told him we had detonated the motor and he said it hardly mattered which surprised me because he had seen Viper motors detonated that came apart and everything was fine. I told him there were some marks on the deck and the heads. He did not ask how big and I did not at that time know how big/bad they actually were.

When we hear of detonation, we hear someone “blew a head gasket” or that they “blew the heads off the car” Right?

Well while I was at Arrow, I saw blocks with a hole in the side of them……….I saw blocks with the motor mounts ripped off and so on………

I realize now that torching the block is definitely a big no-no! But, at the time, compared to the other blocks I saw lying around mine did not look all that bad…

Here is the thing: Todd and Tim from Arrow told me they could heat the block, pound out the sleeves and have this guy who repairs top fuel blocks when rods go through the side to repair mine.

To put this into perspective the block and heads looked pretty much like I envisioned from ““blowing a head gasket” or “blowing the heads off the car”. Remember it’s my first time seeing this part…...If my unfamiliarity with all the terms and definitions and how things are supposed to look was misleading to you Jason, I apologize but you should know better than to think I would outright lie to you when I knew you would be getting the same failure report from a reputable firm like Arrow.

Now once I realize what has happened, I was no longer asking for what I wanted initially. I asked Jason if there was anything he could do to help me since the crank and block, once repaired and remachined lacked a standard bearing set for them to go together anymore. He offered to give me a stock crank that had a little more meat on it to exchange for mine and I thought everything was cool until he started to get nervous last night and basically said he was going to throw me under a bus when I had done nothing but try to get the posts deleted that he thought were implicating him.

I never asked him to swap me somebody else’s block for mine! That is a blatant lie!

I do not blame Jason for the engine failure, only the fact that he made several mistakes in building it and those mistakes did not help the integrity of the motor.

6. I would like to address the spark plug issue here. Jason says I ran a stock heat range spark plug on the car. I used the Autolite 3923 which was the same Heffner installed on my blower car. I doubt that is the stock heat range spark plug.

I did ask Jimmy that morning on the way to the dyno about getting a colder plug and we ordered them and were planning on picking them up after lunchtime. I forgot to go get them. Neither Larry or Jimmy remembered either.

7. Anybody saying I went out and bought a book and slapped on a big set of turbos does not have a clue about exactly what it takes to do such a thing. Anybody who has seen my system would laugh at such comments. If it was that easy everybody and their brother would have made 1350 RWTQ at 3600 RPM and still have 1350 RWTQ at 5,000 RPM with their first turbo car.

8. Everybody seems to be upset I was making everything out to be OK when the engine was dead.
==> I wanted to be sure of the exact degree of failure and it took several follow up conversations to get the final verdict that turned out to be very different from our initial impressions.

9. I will quote Jason Heffner’s finale, “For the past week Paolo has deceived members of this board by making people that his car has been running flawlessly when in reality he blew it up on the dyno over week ago, lied to everyone regarding what exactly failed on his engine, told half truths to have others believe that this engine failure was not his fault, attempted to deceitfully acquire money from myself to repair damage that he has caused and still to this point refuses to accept responsibility for his own actions. Those who have done business with him in the past are well aware that none of this is out of character for him.

Paolo, you and your associates were negligent in several aspects. You and your associates directly caused your engine to fail. This has been verified by a respectable third party machine shop and several others. The fact that your engine is in the state that it is in is a true testament to a lack of knowledge in the areas of properly tuning an engine at this level. Should you choose to maintain your "I can do no wrong" mentality it will be a long bumpy road for you and anyone who would do business with you.

I would also like to point out that after reading the Arrow Racing teardown report that several items such as wrist pin lengths and bearing use are matters of personal preference and not a matter of right or wrong.”

==> Jason, I can appreciate your wanting to protect your name and reputation, but I will have to clarify a few things here for you in regards to your finale:

I would like to first say that it has been a struggle to ascertain exactly what the verdict is as it has changed from the initial impressions we got from Arrow on friday we were there to Tuesday when I got the final verdict from Todd. I relayed the information I was given at all times and at no time did I attempt to deceive everybody or anybody.

You said, “I attempted to deceitfully acquire money from myself to repair damage that he has caused and still to this point refuses to accept responsibility for his own actions.”

Jason, You are wrong on both counts here. Whatever I asked for was directly proportional to what the facts and impressions I got from Arrow dictated. Once they said the torque could have distorted the block and you and Todd explained it to me properly, I was immediately happy to accept your class act offer until you decided to throw me under a bus.==> In case you did not notice, I took all the blame in my Clarification of Status of Castellano Twin Turbo. I did not implicate you in anything……………. Nor did I even in my Truth about Jason Heffner thread blame you for the detonation, I ended with, “The reason I am posting this is not to put blame on anybody here except myself to always be pushing the limit and go where nobody has gone before. When pushing the limit, you are only as good as what and who you have to work with. I have learned a lot from the experience so far and will certainly apply the new knowledge to build a better turbo system for the regular guy than what is currently out there”

==> I just pointed out some of the measurable mistakes you made that you should not have made in ordering parts and/or assembling my engine.

You said, “ Those who have done business with him in the past are well aware that none of this is out of character for him.”

Well, I have to say that you are definitely taking advantage of the B.S. being spun by some people on the board here. From being my friend and knowing how those people hurt me and did me wrong to now pulling this line on me is unconscionable. Too bad for you.

You said, “Paolo, you and your associates were negligent in several aspects. You and your associates directly caused your engine to fail. This has been verified by a respectable third party machine shop and several others.”

==> Jason, I have already taken responsibility for this many times.

You said, “. The fact that your engine is in the state that it is in is a true testament to a lack of knowledge in the areas of properly tuning an engine at this level.”

==>Let me ask you a question: Have you ever blown up a motor making less than 1279 RWHP and 1448 RWTQ? I bet you have. Should I feel bad mine went? Yes. Am I responsible it went? Yes. Should I be ashamed I did not know every possible thing for that situation? NO.

==>Did you not have The Turbo People tune Chad’s car from the 1200/1200 dyno sheet and everything else after that? You bet! Why did you use them? Because you are smart! Nobody ever said you were dumb.

Why give me a hard time when I have taken responsibility? Is it because I pointed out some mistakes you made? Sorry, but I do not appreciate being screwed behind the scenes by people using a carrot puppet. Whether you were part of that little orchestration, I will never know or be able to prove.

You said, “Should you choose to maintain your "I can do no wrong" mentality it will be a long bumpy road for you and anyone who would do business with you”

==>I do not know where you get this idea, but I have no such mentality, I talk to all interested parties in discussions about turbo system design and the like. I talk to JGK and teach him a lot, I talk to someone like Pitt Formula Racer and teach him some and he teaches me some. There is always more to learn. I have quite a bit more to learn and am eager to take it all in. I made quite a lot of progress in the last year or so. I cannot wait to take the car to the track when it is ready.

You said, “I would also like to point out that after reading the Arrow Racing teardown report that several items such as wrist pin lengths and bearing use are matters of personal preference and not a matter of right or wrong.”

Jason, I will concede you do have a point with the wrist pin lengths and bearing usage to a point depending on which engine builder you talk to, but the parts of the failure report you conveniently omitted are the following:

I would like to get an answer to the following questions if you would not mind:

1.How about the brand new timing chain cover of mine you seized when priming the oiling system that I had to pay for because you did not put assembly lube into the oil pump gears before installing the timing chain cover?

2.How about #12 , which says, “All pistons have wear marks from contact with small end of connecting rod to piston pin piers (not enough side clearance).”

3. What about your failure to remove the valve cover baffles resulting in all the chunks of metal that went through the motor from the rocker arms and high lift cam battering the thin metal material of the baffles? I know you mentioned it, but nobody seems to have noticed you might have done something wrong in this respect and that maybe you should be held accountable to some degree…. This certainly did not help the motor to say the least.

4. How about this from the failure report: No loctite on any internal fasteners (windage tray, oil pan baffle, cam bolts and lifter tie bars)

==>Please address why loctite was not used in these areas!

5.How about the fact that I was led to believe that I was getting Oliver rods and I got Pauter rods instead? You and your little customer can spin this one about where does it say Oliver on the receipt, but you and I know what you told me on the phone when I asked you why I did not get the Olivers like you originally told me?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Paolo
You say that this is not Jason's fault and then compile a list of "he did this wrong, He did this and didn't do that" is beating a dead horse, let it go, just let it go. what is this a "if I am bad so is he" post. I cant see where Jason did anymore than attempt to help after reading your post along with his.
Jason has built some awesome wicket motors and attacking him here for what ever reason (my belief) was no more than a smear campaign. was it all the big numbers talk that embarrassed you to where you felt you needed to and made an attempt to drag someone down with you or is this just how you have always have been. Has any failure ever been your fault?

You said that it was your fault that you were going to get cold plugs but forgot them go on with jimmy and _______ also forgot (another its not my fault). Its your car and not there job to remember is it, more finger pointing. Cant you see how you are saying it was my fault but others forgot too, still not wanting any blame unless you can place it with others to bolster your case, cant you see, wake up.

Paolo just move on and do your thing.

You know if I was interested in building I think that I would have started out with a lawn mower and worked my way up to turbos but this is me. I would not have picked the hardest book on the shelf.

looking at your post again you will never let it go because you think R & D failures should not land on your plate. read your very last # 5 where you are still grasping for straws.

I tell you what
When it is time my Viper will be in Heffners garage waiting it's turn for a TT with out a second thought.

Paolo give it a rest, a long rest, get over and move on. What happened is that you and Viperjim showed how to play a good game of blame others, by the way where is Bla-Bla, BoostedV10 ViperJim in all of this. He took credit for much of the build so where has he been, decided to leave again?

what you did was make Jason your target like you made woodhouse and SVSI. What you showed was maybe it was not SVSI, maybe it was not woodhouse and show a clear pattern of shifting blame and that is truly sad. it's time to belly up to the bar and take your medicine. You can say no-no just pointing out the facts but I say no-no just attempting to shift the blame when there is no where to shift other than Paolo C.

you started off with "Clarifying a few things", in the government it is called the "spin" or spinning it your way :smiles:

just my .025 cents

·
Vipers should be DRIVEN !
4,287 Posts
Paolo I can not speak for you nor Jason......

I read in your post about your concern on how long it took to get your car originally built. The Oliver rods could have add much more time to your engine build ....these rod take a very long time to get because each set is custom build for each application and can not be pulled off the shelf. There is a long wait because of the back log of customers ahead of you getting Oliver to manufacture their sets ahead of your custom application.

Cudaman:flag:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I do not feel that I have to defend my position or my actions any further other than to say this: You absolutely did ask me to give you another block in exchange for your block and suggested that I use your block in someone else's car that would not be making as much power therefore making the questionable block potentially less of an issue. Please produce the receipt that specifies Oliver rods.

You are correct in that the car was in fact picked up in mid 2003 and not December 2002. This was an oversight on my part and I apologize for this. Now could you explain what this changes?

In reading your above post it is quite apparent to me that you are still not taking responsibility for your actions by stating that neither Jim nor Larry remembered about the plugs either. I don't recall Jim stating that he is getting into the tuning business and don't you dare implicate Larry for forgetting to put the correct spark plugs in your engine.

The rest of your post is redundant. People have already read all of this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
PAOLO did you not do regular oil changes, i change mine every 2 to 3 weeks on my high horsepower engines. You should have seen metal in the oil long time ago and if it continued then Heffner should have been aware. There is just too many miles 6500 and time gone by to make these points now. Sorry buddy but with that kind of mileage you shoud not have brought Heffner into the discussion. Maintenance is your responsibility as with all who want to make big power and run fast.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'm with MP, all the stuff that is attached to Heffner in any way happened 2+ yearsw ago. Take it to court, they'll laugh at you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Paolo Castellano said:
5. I have the reciept that say Oliver rods
Nice job trying to edit that one once Heffner called you on more of your B.S.

Paolo Castellano said:
WHAAAA! Nobody will pay for my engine that me and the boys fucked up. BOOHOO! I thought I was a tuner and this proves that I'm not.
I think that is what most are getting out of your posts.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What is all the hulpa about. This is like little girl in the school yard.

Enough is enough already. In order to make an omelet you have to brak some eggs. Get another block, get your machine work done your way. Please quit with the post and post remeoval. Life is to short. You know what the barber said? he said " NEXT "

Yellowstain out

·
Registered
541 Posts

Enough is enough already. In order to make an omelet you have to brak some eggs. Get another block, get your machine work done your way. Please quit with the post and post remeoval. Life is to short. You know what the barber said? he said " NEXT "

Yellowstain out

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I never said anything that implicated anything, my first post said, "you guys crack me up", the second one agreed with pvt jet saying "ding ding ding" meaning that if something happened, it is between u and whoever else and does not need to be made public like this. Ive always supported paolo as he has helped me through the learning process with vipers and cars in general.... he has always been blatently honest with me. I will continue to support him until I see something that changes my mind, just like any other "shop". When I do get a viper, it will have a CPE TT on it, not making crazy power (900rwhp or so) but his kit is well engineered and better than pics I have seen on ANY OTHER kit on the market... Paolo, Im giving you a call here in a few minutes.....

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
yellowstain said:

Yellowstain out

"Yellowstain out"??

Holy gay tv catch phrase batman.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
00SVTdubs said:
...When I do get a viper, it will have a CPE TT on it, not making crazy power (900rwhp or so) but his kit is well engineered and better than pics I have seen on ANY OTHER kit on the market... Paolo, Im giving you a call here in a few minutes.....

Right On Eric!!

:thumb:

If I had the extra money to have a GTS to TT, mine too would be/eventually-will be-when-I-get-a-Blue-N-Whie-GTS-one-of-these-years going to Paolo!

:lol:

Cheers,

Jay K.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.