Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I completely Agree! The Naysayers and Vette lovers can spout off all they want. Dodge is waiting for Chevy to both show their hand and hit the street with their 500hp car. This bet is so in the money that I'm thinking of getting on the Batphone to Vegas!!

Evervybody relax,

The Coupe will have 600hp and there aint no two ways 'bout it!

Thanks Chuck!

Jay K.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I hope so!

But if not, spend a few more beans and bolt on a Roe.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
They won't have to go forced induction but we would likely see higher compression which means swapping pistons if you wanted to go blown later on.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Certifying a car for emmissions and the sniffer test done in California are 2 very different beasts. To certify a car they bring the WHOLE car down to below freezing for an extended period of time (like 48 hours) and then they start the car and emmission leves to be below a certain level within a few seconds. This is MUCH tougher than driving up to a station with a car at operating temperature and smogging it.

As far as compression, the higher the compression the cleaner a car normally runs (same thing with timming, usually more timming means cleaner emmisions). Another "counter intuitive" concept is the fact that a car will run cooler with higher compression and advanced timming provided it's not detonating.

_Mark_ said:
You could pull 600 out of that motor and still meet emissions with no problem.

For reference, gen2 N/A strokers pass emissions here in CA (as long as they have cats).

·
Registered
502 Posts
TRDSupra said:
Certifying a car for emmissions and the sniffer test done in California are 2 very different beasts. To certify a car they bring the WHOLE car down to below freezing for an extended period of time (like 48 hours) and then they start the car and emmission leves to be below a certain level within a few seconds. This is MUCH tougher than driving up to a station with a car at operating temperature and smogging it.
how can they do that as a test?....a car's cats won't even function until up to temperature therefore they can't clean the exhaust gases at all...thats a pretty assinine test if you ask me...of course i shouldn't put it past California...

·
Registered
587 Posts
The test for the rest of the nation is not much different from states requiring California emmissions. This is why manufacturers keep placing the cats closer and closer to the exahust manifold (in some cars incorporated into the exhaust manifold) to ensure it warms up as quickly as possible.

VIPERn94FIVE0 said:
how can they do that as a test?....a car's cats won't even function until up to temperature therefore they can't clean the exhaust gases at all...thats a pretty assinine test if you ask me...of course i shouldn't put it past California...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.