Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left a friend's house tonight, and about 2min into the drive my check engine light came on. I pulled over and checked the oil and the level was fine but there were these bubbles on the dipstick in the oil. Of all the times I have checked the oil I have never seen this. So are these air bubbles in the oil the cause or the engine light?

Also I had the oil changed less than a month ago.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked again this morning and the level is in the "safe zone". I just took the car to Autozone to get the code checked out and this black lady was a bitch about the fact that only two people were working so they couldn't do it...even though i was one the only customer in the whole place :fist:. So now I gotta go back again tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Most likely if the oil is not milky, just normal aeration of the oil. A head gasket will not set the check engine lite off unless it is leaking so badly that the o2 sensors get fouled with coolant, pretty rare. Aeration of the oil will also not trip a check engine lite. There are no sensors to tell oil quality or such.

I would recommend verify oil level again and drive the car normally for a short distance and look at the stick again. If no bubbles, find out why the m.i.l. is lit and address that. If you still see bubbles, and I mean alot of bubbles, have your regular Viper tech ck. it out for you.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After numerous checks, I haven't seen any bubbles again. And no there wasn't any kind of smoke or engine problems.

I had the code ran and ended up being a "Large Emissions Leak"..aka loose gas cap

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
GTS_Steveo said:
After numerous checks, I haven't seen any bubbles again. And no there wasn't any kind of smoke or engine problems.

I had the code ran and ended up being a "Large Emissions Leak"..aka loose gas cap
Loose gas cap generally will only set a P0456 small evaporative emissions leak detected, unless the cap was still at the gas station, you probabley have another problem. But it doesn't hurt anything to clear the code and see if it comes back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.