Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car to emmsions and everything passed except the light. The light doesnt come on when you put it to key on engine off and when the computer commands the light it doesnt come on either. any one ever ran into this or is there a wiring diagram that goes to the idiot light panel?

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,625 Posts
Remove the piece of black electrical tape the previous own used to cover it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if only it was that easy. looks like a pain to get the unit out

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never seen an emissions test that tried to make the light come on, strange, what state is this ?
I live in strict Commifornia and they don't do that, on the other hand if the light is on you instantly fail.

Buy an OBD2 scanner and check your system, but first and foremost when you turn the key to the on position do all the other lights (besides Ce) in the dipshit circle display illuminate ?

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,625 Posts
You fucking idiot...you turn the key to accessory without turning the motor over and it shows the information center turn on. the check engine light is part of that, if the light doesn't turn on it's a fail.

they're not asking it to throw code you moron.

·
Banned
234 Posts
You fucking idiot...you turn the key to accessory without turning the motor over and it shows the information center turn on. the check engine light is part of that, if the light doesn't turn on it's a fail.

Wow,,, NEVERMIND.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Any idea which State this is ?
Seems strange, but logical, I guess you could circumvent this, not sure how though.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Took my car to emmsions and everything passed except the light. The light doesnt come on when you put it to key on engine off and when the computer commands the light it doesnt come on either. any one ever ran into this or is there a wiring diagram that goes to the idiot light panel?
From what I remember, that's on the same fuse as guages.. fuel, amps, oil etc. So, if they are working, could be a bad bulb. The manual has very detailed and easy to read schematics.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
The CEL is in the message center. It is a "module" per se. Many lamps housed in a single housing. I don't think the lamps are individually replaceable. At least not easily.

If the inspectors are looking for the CEL upon *key on* and it is not coming on it could be the light, the physical wiring, or the PCM.

If the light does come on with *key on* but not during some "test," then it's not the bulb or wiring, but then likely the PCM.

If you are running a non stock tune there could be issues there too. Things can be turned off when writing tune files, but I have to say turning the CEL off in it's entirety would be a little odd while scripting a tune.

Finally, since I'm the only helpful motherfucker in this thread, the rest of you shut the fuck up. You too Adam. Go feed Mr. Whiskers and get me some pics of your skanky roommates.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
I've got a spare message center. I'll have to look at it again. Been a while. Could be some mental fogginess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts