Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lost Senior Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that on my 2002 GTS the alternator output is controlled by the PCM. Ever since I've had the car, the volt gauge would pretty well sit on 14V unless I was sitting for a while at night with lights on. It would drop to about 13V then. The last couple times I drove the car, as soon as I come to a stop, the volt gauge drops to 12V and I notice the A/C fan and rad. fan slowing down. As soon as I bring up the RPMs, it goes back up to just under 14V. How do I check what's going on? It seems the alternator is good just by the fact that the voltage comes up at higher idle. With no voltage regulator on the alternator, how do you really check the output?:confused: Thanks, Art

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Do you have a service manual? It tells you how to do the tests to check the charging system to include current output. I could probably copy/paste it here if you need me to, but it is a long read.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Battery temperature sensor...its normal on these cars.

·
Lost Senior Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Battery is new and I do have the service manual, I just got sent out of town for a week right after I noticed the issue. I'll be back home after Mon. and will make my evening's entertainment reading the manual. Thanks, Art

·
Lost Senior Member
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got back in town and ordered a new alternator from the local dealership. They matched VPA pricing and I had it the next day. Solved my issue. Now it charges at 13.8V-14V all the time. Much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts