Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

What is general rule of thumb on replacing plugs? I have about 9K miles (2002). Do you think I need to change already? Anyone have a detailed procedure on doing the change - I hear you have to remove the AC canister and wipers etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
To change the plugs, all you need to remove is the AC air box...two screws and two bolts (10mm or 11 mm, can't remember)...If you are relatively stock, just go back with the stock Champions, gapped at 0.035".

To change the wires, you have to remove the wipers and windshield cowl...no need if just changing plugs...

At 9K miles, I can tell you they are just fine...but change them anyway..It's good training.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
I change my plugs and wires every 20K. The wires could last a little longer but at $63/set it isn't worth putting it off. I order a couple sets at a time from Chuck Tator 914-763-3136.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great - thanks guys! Any special tools to make the job easier? And really dumb question - where is this ac air box - or is it very obvious that I need to remove to change the plugs?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Make sure to get some type of brush, maybe a small paint brush, to clean around the plug prior to removing it. Don't let a bunch of crap fall inside when you remove plug.

Use a 6" hose with an inside diameter that you can stuff the plug into and it will firmly hold it. This will give you an extension with installing the plug that makes it easy to thread and helps not to cross thread.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
95Viper I use my compressor to blow the crap out from around the plug before removing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you don’t have a compressor just get a valve attachment and use the spare tyre as a source of compressed air. I used the pipe that came with my pressure bleeder and it worked a treat.

Don’t forget to pump the spare up afterwards though.

Ps I managed to change the plugs without removing the ac box but it was tight and the snake bit my hand a few times.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Several things on changing the plugs:

1. The air box is on the passenger side of the car in the engine bay, somewhat closer to the windshield than the front of the car, and has 4 bolts/screws/fasteners that hold it to the rest of the car - hope that helps in identifying it.

2. I found that the rubber piece inside the spark plug socket (the tool you put the tip of the plug into) created too much grip on the spark plug once I got the spark plug snugly threaded into the engine, such that when I would pull back on the wrench with the extension that the socket would come off the extension (even though the extension was of the locking variety). Therefore, I removed the rubber piece (so that I can extract my socket), but consequently have to be more careful on the installation of the plugs so that they go in correctly.

3. Because I removed the aforementioned rubber piece, I have found that having an extendable magnet is useful in removing the spark plugs after I have unthreaded them - though conceivably I could just get a spark plug socket with a rubber piece inside and keep one without (taking it out & putting it back in repeatedly isn't an option).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Slaughter - Same thing happened to me last night while changing plugs. Black rubber piece kept the socket stuck on plug. What I ended up doing was keeping the black rubber piece in, and removed all 5 spark plugs on each side. Then, I took out the rubber piece and used the socket to replace all the plugs at once. Kept me from having to repeatedly changing the rubber piece in/out.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
ViperDaveUK said:
Ps I managed to change the plugs without removing the ac box but it was tight and the snake bit my hand a few times.
You're a masochist. Takes less than one minute to pull that big ol' box outta there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
slaughterj - Just take your rubber socket to a hardware store and buy a good thick piece of tubing the same size.

Use socket withour rubber insert to unthread and once loose, use rubber hose.
When installing, use rubber hose to thread in and once seated, use socket again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chuck 98 RT10 said:
ViperDaveUK said:
You're a masochist. Takes less than one minute to pull that big ol' box outta there.
Your probably right on that one /images/graemlins/freak It looked more complicated than you guys say it is. The only real problem was getting the plug wire off after that it was not a problem, small hands I suppose. I guess I will take the ac box off next time though.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've done it both ways and neither was particularly hard. Taking the box off consumes a little more time, but you probably make it up in saved frustration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts